Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

fluorocarbon fishing line over-hyped?

Over the last 12 years or so I have transitioned to using fluorocarbon fishing line for soft plastics and cranking. I have tried most of them and settled on Invizx. However I have never been 100% sold on the of the line in general. I know it has its place but it seems to me invizx is not quite what it use to be, I am replacing it more often and its been breaking more. This has led to me to reconsider the benefits of fluorocarbon and I have come to the conclusion that in 85-95% of the fishing I do it is just not needed. I have heard the argument that flouro doesnt stretch but most people prefer the Invizx which does indeed stretch almost as much as the Berkley Big game that have used since I was a kid. If I dont want it to stretch I will use braid. The only real advantage that I see is that fluorocarbon sinks and that is about it. Has the bass fishing conglomerate swayed our opinions on fishing line so that we spend more money on that miracle line?

So I would like to hear other opinions in this, for the cost I just feel there are many other things that bass fisherman can do such as better equipment and new sharper hooks ect.

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    The only thing that matters, or should matter, is whether you believe the line you are using is satisfactory/best for your fishing. I don’t know who the bass fishing conglomerate comprises, so their opinion doesn’t matter to me.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

I use Fluoro on a lot of my setups but I tend to use the lower priced stuff and I use backing on my reels. I don’t track it but I spend very little on fishing line each year.

4. Member
    Personally I noticed I get more bites with fluoro. That's what led to me changing years ago. Sure I can catch fish with mono still I just have confidence with fluoro so I use it. I don't really care what any fishing conglomerate says or thinks. I go with what I like because no one is paying me for what I use or recommend.
    2009 Triton 18x3 Pro

5. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Yes we will buy anything we believe gives us an edge! However, I think ego comes into this a lot. You’re right, the cheap Trilene Big Game can probably do everything any other line can with the exception of braid. But, we all like to tinker and squeeze every last drop out of everything...it’s in our nature.

I have this same argument with myself pretty consistently; and since I’m in Florida and can’t see the bottom in 40’ of water I really don’t need the “benefits” of a flouro or copoly line.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

I think so. For some applications I don’t think it’s overhyped but for most things I think it is.

7. Member
    I use mono for a few top water baits and nothing else. I use braid for the rest of my top water baits and flipping, and Invizx for everything else.

8. Member
    Tried it once. Did not like it. Have not tried it again.

9. Member
    I look at flouro as a tool. We dont just have 1 crankbait, spinnerbait, worm etc. I dont use mono anymore, and only use flouro or braid. Flouro has advantages over braid in that it sinks, more abrasion resistant, and better for clear water. I also do not like real light braid. It gets tangled up easier, and just to limber. we could all catch fish at anytime on any line, but there are times when I think flouro is better (not a game changer). If you listen to everyone everybody has a preference or opinion. Do what works for you. Confidence is the biggest factor.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

I believe, I can feel more with the flouro. Now whether that is really true or not is irrelevant, because I am more confident while using it.

11. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Personally its on everything except what I use for topwater or heavy grass, Invizx on spinning, Abrazx on baitcast.

But it is just another tool available, use what works for you.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

12. Member
    I'm the opposite. I see zero benefit of using mono for anything except maybe a short leader (like 12") to stop treble hooked walking baits from hooking the braid. Need floating line, use braid. Fishing any bait under the water, use fluoro. I've seen firsthand the difference a good fluoro makes even over a mediocre fluoro.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

13. Banned
    For me it’s very simple. My feel is a 100 times better than with mono or co poly. Not even close. When I’m out there dragging a jig or Texas offshore in 15-25 feet of water (which is how I fish a big chunk of the year) my feel is far superior. Take a reel filled with mono and one with floro. Tie on a football jig and go drag it on some offshore spots. The feel between the two is night a day. The mono feels like I’m fishing with a rubber band, while the floro feels like I’m felling every rock down there. Wether or not one line stretches and one doesn’t I have no idea or even care for that matter. What I do know is the feel with one is far better than the other for whatever reason.

That’s really the main difference for me and why i use it. The invisibility aspect is a nice bonus, but really has zero effect on why I use it.

I’m not sure why guys have so much trouble out if it. The only thing I can think of is they’re trying to bring a knife to gunfight. I see guys bitching all the time bitching how they broke on the hookset flipping, and then find out they’re using 15lb to flip bushes. Spool up some 20-25 when doing that and you won’t have any trouble. Even when I’m offshore dragging I use 18lb Sunline Sniper. Never a minute of trouble. Not sure why some of you all have so much trouble with it.

Not to me it ain't. Its proven itself to me in my own fishing that it's great stuff for certain presentations.

Yummy... a 1000th fluorocarbon thread

16. Member
    More sensitive, less stretch, and harder to see. As stated above do you think these are true? To me it’s a no Brainer.

17. Banned
    So the BBC pro fisherman will anihilate me like the did in the last FC thread...but I do believe its overhyped and prolly as much marketing as anything...and prolly people trying to do it like the pros a little too much.

Its ridiculous that you need to strip line so often on it...and if it goes a while unused will curl up too. Just not a durable line in general. If you watch tourney prep videos the pros are always changing out their line.....prolly cuz of similar observations and the lack of confidence in it overall. Ive never seen the pros respooling braid daily...and i have on FC.

Here is my take on when you "need" FC line:
    1. You are fishing for money against GOOD competition (not wednesday nighters) that are similar in skill level to you in a multi day tourney(lake with decent visibility too). Why multi day...well because the fish will likely get worn out of there are a bunch of sticks coming after them with similar techniques, and that subtle difference (lower line visibility) may give you the edge in that situation.

2. Those fisheries with super clear water AND heavy fishing pressure (guides, tourists, locals, etc....) and its for similar reasons. Fish likely see the same thing over and over and that lower line vis may make that difference.

I really think those are the only 2 situations where it is more of a "need" compared to other situations. Fishing is an art and not a science. We have convinced ourselves that FC is less visible to bass and results in more bites...and then the companies that make the line tell us that is the case too and we should be using it to catch more fish. Even in those situations its not an absolute imo....and prolly only needed as a leader.....wether thats a rods length (pros) or about a casts lengths (non pro who doesnt know anything). These fish hit alabama rigs and I dunno....hooks are kinda visible! I use a lot of VMC and they have a black color to them.....that doesnt stop the fish from hitting the worm.

It may make a difference in certain situations....but generally speaking I am in the overrated camp. Im gonna mess with mono here in a few months (got 3 spools of FC i need to finish) and might say that FC is totally done in my book if I end up liking it or having good luck with it.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    For me it’s very simple. My feel is a 100 times better than with mono or co poly. Not even close. When I’m out there dragging a jig or Texas offshore in 15-25 feet of water (which is how I fish a big chunk of the year) my feel is far superior. Take a reel filled with mono and one with floro. Tie on a football jig and go drag it on some offshore spots. The feel between the two is night a day. The mono feels like I’m fishing with a rubber band, while the floro feels like I’m felling every rock down there. Wether or not one line stretches and one doesn’t I have no idea or even care for that matter. What I do know is the feel with one is far better than the other for whatever reason.

That’s really the main difference for me and why i use it. The invisibility aspect is a nice bonus, but really has zero effect on why I use it.

I’m not sure why guys have so much trouble out if it. The only thing I can think of is they’re trying to bring a knife to gunfight. I see guys bitching all the time bitching how they broke on the hookset flipping, and then find out they’re using 15lb to flip bushes. Spool up some 20-25 when doing that and you won’t have any trouble. Even when I’m offshore dragging I use 18lb Sunline Sniper. Never a minute of trouble. Not sure why some of you all have so much trouble with it.
    just to ask, since you mention in invisibility having zero effect on why you use it. Why dont you use braid instead? isnt braid the clear winner in terms of line feel?

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsmith223 View Post
    Over the last 12 years or so I have transitioned to using fluorocarbon fishing line for soft plastics and cranking. I have tried most of them and settled on Invizx. However I have never been 100% sold on the of the line in general. I know it has its place but it seems to me invizx is not quite what it use to be, I am replacing it more often and its been breaking more. This has led to me to reconsider the benefits of fluorocarbon and I have come to the conclusion that in 85-95% of the fishing I do it is just not needed. I have heard the argument that flouro doesnt stretch but most people prefer the Invizx which does indeed stretch almost as much as the Berkley Big game that have used since I was a kid. If I dont want it to stretch I will use braid. The only real advantage that I see is that fluorocarbon sinks and that is about it. Has the bass fishing conglomerate swayed our opinions on fishing line so that we spend more money on that miracle line?

So I would like to hear other opinions in this, for the cost I just feel there are many other things that bass fisherman can do such as better equipment and new sharper hooks ect.
    Fluorocarbon does indeed stretch...moreso than mono, just slower.

The FC you've "settled" on is nowhere near what I consider a premium FC...and the premium lines far outperform the low rent lines. The problem is, so many people can't deal with the pricetag. A premium FC is a superior line in all aspects compared to any mono/copoly.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc575 View Post
    just to ask, since you mention in invisibility having zero effect on why you use it. Why dont you use braid instead? isnt braid the clear winner in terms of line feel?
    Braid is worst for sensitivity on loose line presentations...tightline may be different...but I don't use braid for anything but topwater/frogs.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast