How much of a "bow" should a bunkboard have?

Bought this boat last year, the bunkboards seem solid, but the carpet is coming off in a couple places and needs replacing. I'm contemplating gatorbacks.

Should I be concerned with the amount of bow or "set" that these bunkboards have taken?

stratos1.jpg

2. Member
    The bunk boards should conform to the curve of the hull, whatever that may be.
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs

3. mikesxpress
    The hull is a 1998 and the boards are due for replacement. KDAT boards are what I consider to be the best replacement. Kiln dried after treatment.

The "set" you mention is the bow of the boards between the supports? That will become more pronounced with the age of the boards and the overall design/construction of the trailer. Most don't have enough supports to keep even bunk pressure against the hull like they should. That includes the ones that came on my 2009 Ranger Z21 Intracoastal.

New boards and Gatorbak's installed will give you a solid baseline if you need to shim the bunk board mount up to get as much even weight distribution as possible across all the boards. Once completed, your hull will be allot better off while trailering but it will most likey affect your boat loading a bit.

For trailers that have supports that are spaced further than 4 feet apart (mine), the bow downward will eventually reappear unless you add a rigid support between the bunk mounts and attach it to the bottom of the board.
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 07-18-2019 at 06:02 AM.