9" Console / 12" Bow Graph Units - Need advice

So I expect a variety of answers and feedback but many of you have way more knowledge, opinion and experience than I.

Recent HDS Gen3 failure at bow is forcing me to rethink my electronics. Even though the Lowrance failed too early I still feel they have a solid product.

As mentioned currently have two of the HDS 9's. In our short time with this boat ideally I'd get the 12 up front and update the other 9 at the console. I'm not the latest and greatest type so I'd like to stay a generation back. I can be swayed but currently in no order is as follows. Open to suggestions as well. I'm trying to stay around $1500 a unit.

Helix 9 Meg - Gen 3

Garmin 942

Elite Ti2
    Last edited by SAL321; 07-18-2019 at 07:33 PM.

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    As for the Garmin 942, make sure you read the info. That unit is has sonar/clear vu (down image). If you want side vu then you will need to buy a sonar module to have side vu. Also if you are networking, the GPSmap series will only network with GPSmap series. They dont mix with the other like the Echomap Plus or Ultra Plus units.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    I'm not bashing Lowrance because I like their products, but I will say I had my Lowrance units both take a dump right after the warranty period ended. I switched to Humminbird Helix units and knock on wood have had no issues. 2 of the 3 Humminbirds are now out of warranty. I do miss some of the features on the Lowrance like touch screens though. I would take a look at the Gramins as well. I think all 3 manufacturers are making great products now. Raymarines even look nice.
    Brad Krone

4. Member
    I'm running a Humminbird 999 and 1199. They aren't too fancy but I've had no issues. When mine bite the dust I'll probably move to Garmin for everything.

5. Member
    I have a Carbon 12" on the bow with an Airmar TM150 transducer. I get great images and it matches the way I fish well.

I also think I would go with Garmin as well, after installing a Echomap 99sv on the front and comparing it to both my 900 series birds for marking fish.
    97 Stratos 288
    175 Evenrude Intruder
    Humminbird electronics
    Garmin electronics
    Fortrex112
    2012 Ford Lariat 250