trim button at bow

So, that little nut that holds my bow mounted trim switch came loose. The switch then of course fell down under the floor. The only access I have to reach that is the small hole where my tm plug is mounted at the bow. I can barely get my arm in there and have not been able to reach that switch. Any tricks on getting a hold of that switch? I am at a loss. I rarely use it but it just bugs me that it is not in its correct place. Thank you for any advice.
    "heard it in a love song.........can't be wrong"

I assume that its still wired up? if so see if you an reach down inside with one of the extendable magnets you can get at the parts store

3. Member
    I had to trim some of the fiberglass around the hole to make it bigger to get my arm in.
    2019 BassCat Pantera II
    2019 200 HP Mercury ProXS 4 Stroke

Make sure the power is off and take a piece of wire (like what is used in your home wiring) put a hook on it and use it to fish it out.

We install them all in production with normal folks and anything in that area is installed after the boat is assembled to allow service. Only the white drain fittings and Bow Eye are preinstalled up front.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. BCB... I'm 5'9" a buck65 with little skinny arms and cant get my arm in there. Your normal folks must be smaller than me, either that or I am misunderstanding your explanation. I am going to have to put a mini camera in there to see if I can locate where it fell to. I think once it fell, it has shifted or slid towards the stern of the boat. Once located I will have to determine the best device to retrieve it. I dont really want to cut or enlarge the openings that are already there.

thanks again all.
    "heard it in a love song.........can't be wrong"

7. Member
    Power off...bend small V one end of metal coat hanger end....also remove cup holder if you have one up front

My hot wire came loose (rod tip caught it) from the front trim switch. I inserted an extendable mechanic’s magnet between the terminals, unscrewed the nut, and let the switch drop out of the hole, then pulled it out through the TM panel. I then used a pair of 12” needle nose pliers to grab the wire and pull it out so it could be reconnected. Try an extendable magnet to push the switch back through the hole in order to tighten the nut.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

9. Member
    Previous owner opened up the area where the tm socket came thru to do something, then attached a plate in that area to cover the opening. One could do this neatly and would not affect anything. I am average build and I can reach in all the way back to trim buttons. May be a way to go. This is on a '99 Pantera Classic. My top cap is white and I redid the cover plate with a piece of plexiglass painted white on the back side so it wont scratch. With tm pedal in place it's not noticeable.
    1999 Pantera Classic
    1999 Merc 200hp EFI