Thread: 1242 or 122

Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar

1242 or 122

Iam going to order a 12 but dang Iam at a crossroad.I really do like the knob it’s fast and the 2 adjustments I use most and a lot are the distance and brightness those have to be adjusted the most.The uhd may be bad ass also,but the gt 52 I have no issues with and I may order a gt 30 to play with. I do have the 1042 so I could link them won’t be able to do that if I go with ultra as this will replace my last 93 and will be used as my console unit and the 10 will be live scope only....Any thoughts ?

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    IMO, if you like networking then get the 1242....last thing is to get one and then wish you could network them after the fact.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    What he said. I love my Ultra but if networking is important to you then I would stay in the same family.

4. Member
    Im in the same boat really on the fence. Have two older 1040s that would network with the 1242 but also have a 93sv plus that would network with the ultra.

Basically the same price. Ultras a little more compact and supposedly has a better screen and is touch. Also despise hooking up all those cables each time I go out so the quick disconnect is appealing.

I feel like the gpsmaps are more future proof though than echmaps although the 1242s are a few years old already.

havent run across anybody that has both to give a direct comparison.

5. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Iam going with 1242 it just seems more bulletproof and seems it will be around for awhile.I can always add uhd if I see the need down the road

6. Member
    I have a 1022 and 1042 and I have no complaints at all. Having said that the Ultras
    offer one thing that I like. They will run the UHD transducers. I won’t get into how
    good or bad the current line of UHD transducers are ,as I have never ran one,but I am confident that future transducers
    will work only on the Ultras and 86xx series.
    They are probably working on one as we speak/type but it will not work on most units.
    And I think they will be hard to beat.

7. Member
    Just put 3 1242's on the new boat. Like them a lot. Spend some time understanding the menus. Dealer just thought they turned on whenever you hit the main power button in the boat but they actually have a setting to turn on automatically or manually. Spend some time with them they are awesome.

Love my 122 for Livescope.
    2021 Phoenix 21PHX

9. Member
    Don't make the same mistake I did, 1042xsv and a Echomap 93sv plus will not link, you CAN NOT even hook the panoptics live up to both....either one or the other.

$4200 in Garmin electronics and I have 2 complete different system.

Glad I did not sell all my Lorance graphs.....

10. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    That’s why I was thinking 126 ultra to just hook to my 93 but I have a 1042 so Iam selling the 93 and going 1242

11. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farmrbuc View Post
    Don't make the same mistake I did, 1042xsv and a Echomap 93sv plus will not link, you CAN NOT even hook the panoptics live up to both....either one or the other.

Did you research the information prior to buying the units?
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by farmrbuc View Post

What do you mean when you say you can’t hook the panoptix up to either one or the other.
    If you mean the LVS12 your right.
    I would never spend that kind of money without a whole lot of reaserach/ homework.
    Garmin carries no blame.

13. Member
    Guess not good enough, bought the 1042 in March, luv the Pan/Livescope,, just picked up the Echo 93, both are listed as Pan/Live compatible.

I have been a HDS guy, looked at Garmin website, looked at BBC Garmin Forum.....Should have asked questions on Site.

Bob with Garmin tech support had to take 10 minutes to find that I can't evan rout the Panoptics thru the $250 hub/router to both units.

Maybe future updates will fix this....

Totally my fault, just kinda disappointed.

14. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Sell the 93 and get another 1042 that’s what Iam in the process of doing.or I may just keep the 93 up front for side scan and use the 1042 as scope so many decisions!either way Iam getting a 12