Four blade Trophy to 3 blade Tempest

When I bought my TR196DC Triton back in 2004, my dealer suggested I go with a 4 blade Trophy prop 26 pitch on my 200 Optimax. I also bought a spare prop and wanted it to be a 3 blade Trophy. Dealer suggested that it should also be a 26 pitch. The three blade spins out on me during take off and doesn’t perform well at all. I have read that when going from a four blade to three blade that the pitch needs to change. Looking for some insight here regarding the right pitch for the three blade for my set up. Please advise and thanks in advance.

Trophy props have shorter ears that allow you to run the same pitch as a three blade. The threes should have taller ears. The 26 does seem a size too big to me but I do not recall the dry weight of the TR196's.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

Rule of thumb, Adding a blade you drop 1 inch in pitch.... But not always.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

4. Member
    i had a 2005 tr196dc with a 200 merc efi. i had a 26 trophy and a 27 tempest. the trophy was 2 mph faster with a better holeshot for me

5. Member
    You need to adjust the venting (PVS Hole size) on the 26" tempest prop to keep it from blowing out on take off and probably have it worked because most even number tempests don't preform well without some work especially if its a 2004 model. You also can't run the tempest and the trophy at the same height prop to pad, the trophy needs to run about 1/2" lower.

Three blade trophy ?
    Depending on variable such as elevation, load and peak RPM, I would be running a 24 or 25 tempest on it maybe even a fury if you are willing spend another 300 having it reworked
    I really doubt the 26 is getting 5650 to 5700 rpm on that rig
    Last edited by lpugh; 07-17-2019 at 07:42 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Three blade trophy ?
    Depending on variable such as elevation, load and peak RPM, I would be running a 24 or 25 tempest on it maybe even a fury if you are willing spend another 300 having it reworked
    I really doubt the 26 is getting 5650 to 5700 rpm on that rig
    The four blade Trophy 26 is definitely the better performer vs the 3 blade Tempest 26 I have. Regarding RPM's, i don't think I ever have gotten up to the 5600 RPM range with the four blade Trophy. One problem I have always had since day one of owning the boat (since 2004) is chine walk when I hit speeds of 55mph or higher, and it's not something that can be "driven out of". It's not a seat time solution as I have been driving boats for 30 plus years now. I think it's a setup issue where I need to play around with engine height to fine tune it. Not sure if the prop comes into play with that as well? Anyway, back to my original topic, I was just trying to determine what the proper pitch needs to be on a 3 blade tempest to make it usable. I'll play around with plugging the vent holes etc., and see what impact that makes as suggested by another poster as well. thx

8. Member
    The trophy is easier to drive at top speed than any 3 blade .

bombercrawcall me to discuss this in person 916 813 0321, This would be a long conversation in posts, and I am positive I would start some arguments that would only add to confusion. I am confident I can get you on a path to get handle on this.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bombercraw View Post
    The four blade Trophy 26 is definitely the better performer vs the 3 blade Tempest 26 I have. Regarding RPM's, i don't think I ever have gotten up to the 5600 RPM range with the four blade Trophy. One problem I have always had since day one of owning the boat (since 2004) is chine walk when I hit speeds of 55mph or higher, and it's not something that can be "driven out of". It's not a seat time solution as I have been driving boats for 30 plus years now. I think it's a setup issue where I need to play around with engine height to fine tune it. Not sure if the prop comes into play with that as well? Anyway, back to my original topic, I was just trying to determine what the proper pitch needs to be on a 3 blade tempest to make it usable. I'll play around with plugging the vent holes etc., and see what impact that makes as suggested by another poster as well. thx
    Unless you have serious slack in the steering or motor mounts it IS a seat time solution. Setup can help some but will not make a huge difference in walk, the most important thing is catching and correcting early. I will say that 55 mph is low to see walking which tells me that you are likely overtrimming too early and may have the motor a little deep. You will still have to learn how to drive it but it will start in the low to mid 60s instead of 50s with proper setup and trim. Don’t give it maximum trim right away run it up to speed with a little less trim than it needs and then add trim a little at the time, again it is absolutely going to walk but this method will allow maximum speed before walking.