Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yamaha ring free

New to Yamaha and wanting some advice on ring free oil. Are you all running 1oz per 10 gal on every fill up? I’ve heard varying stories from every 4th fill up, every other fill to every fill up.
    Thanks for the advice

Switch to Amsoil HP Inj oil and skip the ring free...

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ckayak1 View Post
    New to Yamaha and wanting some advice on ring free oil. Are you all running 1oz per 10 gal on every fill up? I’ve heard varying stories from every 4th fill up, every other fill to every fill up.
    Thanks for the advice
    I do the 1oz per 10 gal on every fill up.

1 ounce per 10 gallons every fill up for me.
    2005 Xpress X19 Tournament Series Dual Console
    Yamaha VMAX HPDI 175

In my SHO, same as the other guys, 1oz/10 gallons of gas. No issues here. Been doing this since 2013.

2018 21' GatorTrax Strike Series, 250 Yamaha SHO

6. Member
    1 oz per 10 gallons for me every fill up. I also have a Merc Opti and I use quickleen in it. Everyone has their opinion but I see the engines run cleaner with less deposits on the prop hubs.

7. Member
    same here, no issues since it was new.
    Jer
    1999 Ranger R-97 Reata
    2007 Yamaha 200 VMax HPDI

8. Member
    Only owned two engines since 1989. Evinrude was the first and the dealer told me to always run ring free which I did until I sold the boat in 2012. Now run a Yamaha and still add ring free. I probably only ran about 6 or 8 tanks of ethanol free gas in either boat since 1989. Could not get ethanol free gas if I had wanted to. I never have had one ethanol related problem. So I would definitely add it.

9. Member
    Followed the 1:10 for 17 years on my 150 hpdi... so far so good...

Could I have saved some money by using less.... I'll never know... I do know if I ever get rich enough to own a $30k to $40k motor on the back of rig... I won't be trying to save a few bucks... I'll be using what the manufacturers says when it come to fuel additives
    2001 2200v Pathfinder, 150 HPDI,
    Helix 9si on the console and a 998c HD SI on my iPilot Riptide
    Diablo Amigo Kayak

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Switch to Amsoil HP Inj oil and skip the ring free...
    +1

11. Member
    Ring free every fill up. 2011 250 SHO

12. Member
    Ring Free every fill up never a issue on any Yamaha I’ve owned
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

Ring free is great when you use oil that leaves carbon deposits.... I used it or seafoam for years before I switched oil... Now I feel that is a waste of money. My motor inside stays clean. That is the important thing.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

14. Member
    I really find it hard to believe that one ounce of any kind fluid is going to matter in 10 gallons gas . That’s a 1280 to 1 ratio . It’s not doing shit drink some more kool- aid . Don’t drive around dogging the motor and you won’t have to worry about carbon build up . All your doing is making ceos and investors happy golfers at there country clubs .

15. Member
    I certainly don't recommend buying and adding it if you don't think it does what Yamaha says it does.

Quote Originally Posted by skennedy View Post
    I really find it hard to believe that one ounce of any kind fluid is going to matter in 10 gallons gas . That’s a 1280 to 1 ratio . It’s not doing shit drink some more kool- aid . Don’t drive around dogging the motor and you won’t have to worry about carbon build up . All your doing is making ceos and investors happy golfers at there country clubs .
    On the flip side, it costs 6 -7 cents per gallon of gas to add Ring Free. If there is even a chance that it does what it says it does I'll gladly pay those pennies.
    2005 Xpress X19 Tournament Series Dual Console
    Yamaha VMAX HPDI 175

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinTN View Post
    On the flip side, it costs 6 -7 cents per gallon of gas to add Ring Free. If there is even a chance that it does what it says it does I'll gladly pay those pennies.
    Yep, and if you're someone that buys a new boat every few years you won't see any issue not using it, the guy that buys it used would see if it matters.
    2001 2200v Pathfinder, 150 HPDI,
    Helix 9si on the console and a 998c HD SI on my iPilot Riptide
    Diablo Amigo Kayak

18. Member
    The only thing I have ran as an addictive is a marine stabile during storage purposes . I have owned 5 bass boats since 1983 . So I don’t trade or sell every year . Also I have 2 duck hunting boats one has a 1995 merc 75 hp the other one has a merc 25 hp 4 stroke 2006 . Both of those motor I bought new . The 2 ducking hunting motors get the shit kicked out of them in extreme cold conditions jumping over logs and slugging through shallow water. The 75 hp motor has got to have over a 1000 hrs or more on it . Runs like a top . With owning all of those motors to date I have never had a fuel related issue 0 nothing ever . I have never blown a motor ! Yearly maintenance is key and keeping a roof over there heads when not in use and always run fresh fuel through them using the correct octane per the motors spec. Always prop to within 50 rpms of max . To me all of those witch’s brews are a waste of money . Just think of all of the money I have saved over 36 years owning 7 boats .

I thought you said you find it hard to believe that 1 ounce of anything will treat 10 gallons of fuel. The ratio for the "Marine Stabil" is exactly that of the Ring Free. What is the difference in that 1280:1 ratio, versus any other additive 1280:1 ratio? Chemistry is chemistry, and I'm not a chemist. Just looking for info.

The only thing I have ran as an addictive is a marine stabile during storage purposes . I have owned 5 bass boats since 1983 . So I don’t trade or sell every year . Also I have 2 duck hunting boats one has a 1995 merc 75 hp the other one has a merc 25 hp 4 stroke 2006 . Both of those motor I bought new . The 2 ducking hunting motors get the shit kicked out of them in extreme cold conditions jumping over logs and slugging through shallow water. The 75 hp motor has got to have over a 1000 hrs or more on it . Runs like a top . With owning all of those motors to date I have never had a fuel related issue 0 nothing ever . I have never blown a motor ! Yearly maintenance is key and keeping a roof over there heads when not in use and always run fresh fuel through them using the correct octane per the motors spec. Always prop to within 50 rpms of max . To me all of those witch’s brews are a waste of money . Just think of all of the money I have saved over 36 years owning 7 boats .

2018 21' GatorTrax Strike Series, 250 Yamaha SHO

20. Member
    How much money do you think you have saved?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast