Advice for a new set up.

I have a 14 foot aluminum boat transom troller and tiller and fish for fun on weekends looking to upgrade my graph set up which is a lms 320. I think side scan is my only “mandatory”. If the budget was let’s say 800 bucks am I better off buying a used HDS gen 1/2 set up or buying the latest tech with a small screen?
    thank you for the Input.

2. Member
    Check buy sell swap section and see if you can score a carbon unit at good price and use active imaging transducer. Should be pretty happy with that.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 70kdog View Post
    I have a 14 foot aluminum boat transom troller and tiller and fish for fun on weekends looking to upgrade my graph set up which is a lms 320. I think side scan is my only “mandatory”. If the budget was let’s say 800 bucks am I better off buying a used HDS gen 1/2 set up or buying the latest tech with a small screen?
    thank you for the Input.
    For around the $800 mark, I'd consider a 10" Helix Gen 1 unit with side imaging. Or a 9" Garmin SV plus.
    Solix 12 Gen2 Mega+ SI, Helix 7 DI G3, Helix 10 G3N SI +, Helix 9 G3N SI +.
    Upgraded to Mega imaging from a HDS-12 Carbon

4. Member
    Thank you, didn’t know if older generations would be better because of bigger screen compared to a newer tech but smaller screens. I get a little overwhelmed when you could have bought a TI9 for what some people are asking for tech a few generations old.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 70kdog View Post
    Thank you, didn’t know if older generations would be better because of bigger screen compared to a newer tech but smaller screens. I get a little overwhelmed when you could have bought a TI9 for what some people are asking for tech a few generations old.
    I suggest comparing across the board. I currently run Lowrance and Humminbird but I'm liking what Garmin has to offer. After running Lowrance for decades, I finally added the HB unit because of the side and down imaging clarity and simplicity of their user interface. Additionally, I like HB's lakemaster mapping on HD lakes but I also run a navionics chip in the Lowrance. Each has their own pros and cons and all manufacturers have had issues with units and software. However, you don't need the latest and greatest on the market to get what your looking for. I'd check the electronic swap and trade on here. And maybe reach out to RMP and see what they picked up on trade.

6. Banned
    If SI is your main wants, then you want screen size, period... end of discussion. The new graphs don’t have any better images than the older graphs, only issue is old graphs don’t have warranty. I don’t think you’re buying anything new for $800 that has a screen size worth a damn.

7. Member
    You're probably going to find the best comparison of side imaging by searching Facebook groups. There's plenty of screenshots. These are three groups you should check out:

Graphmasters Humminbird and Minn Kota
    Lowrance Image Interpretation
    Sonar and Side Imaging