MASSACHUSETTS LEAD SINKERS/WEIGHTS

I am getting back into fishing and since the last time the boat was in the water our "Make everything safe state of Massachusetts" made lead tackle illegal.
    I have looked for the information on if LEAD spinner baits and painted skirted jigs are legal or not and cant find a definite answer. Also what is the fine for LEAD worm slip weights? If I have a loose 3/8 oz. worm weight in my compartment and the game warden found it how much is the fine? Just like this state to make something illegal then not tell you the fine for it!!

Just heard it is $500.00 per line if a lead sinker under 1 oz. is used in the water. I hope that isn't true! But what is the fine for loose sinkers in the boat?

2. Member
    Why don't you just call Ma fish and wildlife? I'm sure they would be willing and able to answer your question.

3. Banned
    I don't think they are going to board your boat and do a search.Just going to switch over to tungsten or tin.Have not heard about or seen Game wardens checking or even enforcing that rule.
    Amazing how a loon can find a tiny sinker on the bottom of a lake,...

4. Member
    I have upgraded all of my sinkers to steel. I was just wondering how much the fine would be.

A few years ago I asked an EPO about this law he told me there were a lot of unanswered qestions at that time , also Spinnerbaits didn't count . Their concern was lead in the water , not in your boat . I have yet to see an EPO on any lake in MA that I fish,let alone inspecting anyone's boat for lead . But to be safe switch to steel,brass,or tungsten .

2009 ELITE 210

I have heard of no one being checked ... don’t throw jigs that the paint has fallen off of.. I also do not believe they can ruin your bait to check it

7. Banned
    Here in New Hampshire, I have spoken to a couple of F&G officers and they DON'T want this Lead Law anymore then fishermen do. Did ya notice I said FISHERMEN and not person..... They will NOT go out of the way to enforce the law. Just sayin.

I was stopped once by NH F&G on Winni. He only checked my license.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Capw View Post
    I was stopped once by NH F&G on Winni. He only checked my license.
    Well your lucky, I got stopped 4 times in one day (tourney) twice by the same officer who said he did not remember me. They checked every single thing took about 15 minutes each time. Thats was the last time I went to NH fishing, kinda sucks the fun out of fishing when you seem to get targeted for having an MA in your registration number (or any out of state registration).
    2020 Ranger 521L, Merc 250 Pro XS

10. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    they just don't want you up in N.H. fishing ….lol stay home
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years