Thread: Amazon Walk Out

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Amazon Walk Out

Amazon workers in Minnesota ( California of the north) walked off the job due to low wages and the work is too hard. They have a minimum wage of $15 per hour, but they have to handle 600 packages per hour...although they don’t say to what extent.

I remember back in 1962 I was working in a corrugated packaging plant. It was 125 degrees where I worked and I was earning $1.60 per hour. We loved the twelve hour days, because of the four hours at time and one half. We were also on piece time, so the faster we could go the more you earned.

This country has really changed over the years. Just thought from an old man.

2. Member
    Well...i work at ups and we are expected to unload 1200/hr. And thats with summer temps in trailers over 120degrees. But we are also union and have some security in our job. Amazon is like a rotating door. Let them walk out during prime week. Only time they can show their real worth. Otherwise amazon does what it wants, and stomps on everyone in the process. Including ups and fedex and usps. Lol. Let em organize once, and watch amazons head spin.

This morning, the lady I saw interviewed was not upset about the wage. She just thought they were making her work to hard. She was out on workman's comp at this time though.

4. Member
    So they asked for $15 and hour and got it. Now thats not enough for hard work? Why am I not surprised.
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

5. Member
    15 an hour with benefits. Interesting. 31k for an entry level job . Last time I checked - police, fireman, and teachers start around this. Always wanting more and doing less

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdwo2212 View Post
    Well...i work at ups and we are expected to unload 1200/hr.
    20 packages a minute off the delivery truck??
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin08 View Post
    Amazon workers in Minnesota ( California of the north) walked off the job due to low wages and the work is too hard. They have a minimum wage of $15 per hour, but they have to handle 600 packages per hour...although they don’t say to what extent.

I remember back in 1962 I was working in a corrugated packaging plant. It was 125 degrees where I worked and I was earning $1.60 per hour. We loved the twelve hour days, because of the four hours at time and one half. We were also on piece time, so the faster we could go the more you earned.
    I worked on the wet end of a corrugator for several years. Talk about a hot job, working right on top of some preheaters at 385 degrees.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin08 View Post

yea, well that was 60 years ago lol

9. Banned
    If the walkout works for them then I'd guess they did the right thing. It seems that AMZN is doing well and workers should get what they can out of it. It does come with risks however. After all, if there are other workers that would happily do that job for the same pay and benefits then AMZN would be foolish to not hire replacements for the disgruntled. I have heard that in many cases it sucks hard to work for AMZN, that could cause them some problems with replacing workers. I'm interested to see how this plays out.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PsuHntr View Post
    yea, well that was 60 years ago lol
    13.57 An hour based an inflation. I started at 2.10 an hour in the 70's. It didn't take long to realize minimum wage was just that...the minimum.

Consumers LOVE a great deal, sale, etc...but they expect high wages and to live like a king. It doesn't compute. Maybe we should go back to living in communities that take care of each other instead of counting on some politician dictating our earnings?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno 615 View Post
    I worked on the wet end of a corrugator for several years. Talk about a hot job, working right on top of some preheaters at 385 degrees.
    I was the slitter set up man on the dry end. That pit was almost unbearable with paper dust falling on me. Working 60 hours a week, plus the bonus for more output made me feel like I was really doing well....actually I really was. I was the production control manager when I retired. I worked for Jefferson Smurfit for 32 years, but I spent 44 years in the industry. I never missed a paycheck in those 44 years. Retired and living the good life today due to that industry.

They better get what they can, now. Theirs will be among the first to turn robotic, in the near future.
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day

Teach a man to fish, he will complain that you stole his fishing spot.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottOz View Post
    That’s why Ups packages always looks destroyed

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottOz View Post
    that's 20 packages per SECOND to get to 1200 pieces per hour

Apparently, UPS unloaders are giant hummingbirds
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toypuller View Post
    They better get what they can, now. Theirs will be among the first to turn robotic, in the near future.
    ^^^ This ^^^

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1781ccT View Post
    that's 20 packages per SECOND to get to 1200 pieces per hour

Apparently, UPS unloaders are giant hummingbirds
    I guess this is why those types of jobs exist? Lol

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Toypuller View Post
    Yes they will. Amazon is already testing robots in some of its warehouses

18. Banned

19. Banned
    In reading the articles the walkout was organized by many different far left extremist organizations. They are protesting climate change, ICE and the enforcement of immigration law being enforced. Fire all of them.

we was in OKC area visiting the daughters and I bet we seen a dozen or more Amazon vans out making delivery..

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast