Hpdi trim tilt is intermittent

It’s been inconsistent the past few weeks. Check the connections at the starting battery and they were solid. Tested the trim from the throttle , blinker switch, and cowling. Starts then stops then works . Guessing it’s the connection at the engine since all three controls have the same issue. What should I look for when I take the cowling (sp) off?

2. Member
    Sounds like your trim relay is bad or trim motor itself. Follow the wires from your motor trim switch you can make sure all your connector are push in tight this will also go to your trim relay switch then the wires will go to your trim motor. Use a multimeter to test ohms and voltage. If you are not comfortable then you may want to take to dealer for repair

3. Member
    Trim relay is going bad.

4. Member
    In addition to what previous post said, check for loose connections on trim relay. This happened to mine after running on rough water. I hope it's a simple fix for you.

Quote Originally Posted by slicric1983 View Post
    Trim relay is going bad.
    This^^^^
    If you can hear the relay coil clicking but the motor moves intermittently, the contacts inside the relay may be burned.
    By the fact that you mention HPDI, I assume the motor is a Yamaha. That being the case, the trim relay is a single unit for both up and down. It is strong built but I have seen two occasions of burned contacts causing the problem you mention.
    I also had an occasion of corroded commutator on the trim motor causing this problem.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Those relays are cheap if you don't buy the ones that have the motor's brand name on them, buy several just to be ready for next time.

I'm assuming Yamaha is different than my Mercury as it has separate relays for up and down, but just as an example, I bought these from Amazon and carry a couple in the boat just in case. The wire side I just toss as it isn't needed. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

7. Member
    Anyone know the part for the Yamaha trim relay? 250 hp hpdi. Rather have the exact one

Could be a loose limit switch .

This may help, it shows an OEM part number.
    BTW: you can take the top off the relay and gain access to the contacts. One of my friends was able to to polish the burned contacts and got another 2 years out of his.
    Last edited by Bill Reynolds; 07-18-2019 at 07:02 AM.

10. Member
    That’s awesome . Ran it today and not a problem ! Gonna look tomorrow and hope for a loose connection

11. Member
    Are all the relays universal or can you only use 4 stroke relays on 4stroke engines. Have only been able to find relays with an F in the serial number which means it’s a four stroke relay and I have a 2.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    This^^^^
    If you can hear the relay coil clicking but the motor moves intermittently, the contacts inside the relay may be burned.
    By the fact that you mention HPDI, I assume the motor is a Yamaha. That being the case, the trim relay is a single unit for both up and down. It is strong built but I have seen two occasions of burned contacts causing the problem you mention.
    I also had an occasion of corroded commutator on the trim motor causing this problem.

^^^ This, I had the same issue with my 09 HPDI Series 2 250
    Jimmy
    Phoenix 721
    12" Bobs Hydro Plate
    Mercury 300 Xs
    Dave Bush Racing Kit
    28.5 Bravo

Quote Originally Posted by NY29T View Post
    Are all the relays universal or can you only use 4 stroke relays on 4stroke engines. Have only been able to find relays with an F in the serial number which means it’s a four stroke relay and I have a 2.
    All my experience has been with 4 strokes but I found this website that may be helpful. I have noticed that there are 2 wire and 3 wire models and I think that once you look at yours, and determine the number of wires to the relay coils you will be able to identify it by the pictures on this website.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3263...AbTest=ae803_5

14. Member
    Just followed a ground wire all the way to the engine and it was silly loose! Nut was stripped and heading to the depot looking for a stainless steel screw and washer replacement ! Fingers crossed that was it! Will post later! Thanks guys!