Jig Reel/Rod set up

Does anyone use a spinning set up for Jigs or are they just not stout enuf?

What kind of jigs? I throw finesse jigs like the Missile Baits Ike's Micro Jig or Z-Man Finesse ShroomZ Micro Jig on spinning gear. That's really reserved for stuff like 1/8 oz and under, or at least for jigs with small, light wire hooks. Now that I think of it, I think I have thrown the Keitech Casting Jigs up to 3/8 on spinning gear, mostly because while they work awesome, I'll bend hooks on them with casting gear.

Generally if a jig weighs 1/4 or more or definitely if it has a heavy wire hook on it, I'm throwing it on casting gear unless conditions are really specific. The type of specific thing I have in mind is if I needed a really precise, straight down descent or something which I could accomplish much easier with spinning gear. Admittedly I can't think of a scenario outside throwing the aforementioned "micro" jigs where that would be a concern, but that doesn't mean one doesn't exist.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

3. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Yeah you’re going to have to say what kind of jig you mean. For bass I seldom use a spinning set up with a jig but when saltwater fishing I use a 7’ med/fast or 7’ med-hvy/fast to throw a DOA style jighead anywhere from 1/4-3/8 oz with Bass Assassin soft plastic bodies. The spinning gear has no issue sticking trout, snook, redfish, jacks, mackerel...anything really.

I have no no doubt I could throw the exact same jighead & body and catch bass on them.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

4. Member
    Yeah, I am talking 3/8 Oz or 1/2 Oz jigs. So guess i'll keep them on my baitcaster set up. Figured as much but just figured I would ask.

5. Member
    I dont understand the need for spinning gear at all. Casting rods come in light power. I throw the smallest of ned rigs on a M-MH and I dont bend hooks. I bought a spinning setup just because everyone else uses it for finesse techniques but frankly I hate it and only lose a little bit of casting distance on my finesse casting rig. It has 10# braid on it and it works perfectly. I don't think it's necessary to fish for bass on any line so small that a baitcaster wont work.

I could just as easily say I don'y understand why people refuse to use spinning gear. Spinning gear just works better for some techniques, and given that every single pro out there - even a guy like Tommy Biffle - throws a spinning rod for at least some techniques, I don't think that's really something that's under much question. For a given weight of presentation, as you sort of pointed out, a spinning rod can be casted further (and more accurately) by almost every angler, but more importantly it's much easier to get something to fall straight down on a spinning setup, and you can control finesse techniques much more precisely. Besides, 10 lb braid on a casting reel is a giant pain to deal with.

Clearly you see it differently which is fine - everything works different for different people - but I spinning gear is something that an overwhelming majority of anglers choose over casting gear for certain techniques with a ton of success.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

7. Member
    Nothing wrong with using a spinning outfit just make sure it's capable of handling the weight your going to use.

8. Member
    I bought a Cumara A and Crucial worm & jig rod on clearance years back (both MH). They work, but I don't fish them nearly enough, they were too cheap to pass up.

I used to fish 30lb braid on a president sitting on a 7ft MH Calico Jack spinning rod. I caught a 5.8lb bass on a 1/2 oz jig swimming it. Had no problems getting him in.

9. Member
    I prefer spinning rods.

10. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I rarely use spinning gear but I picked up my brothers rod, a 7’ med-fast spinning rod and threw a jerkbait for about 10 min. It was super responsive and like Drew said....10-20lb braid just doesn’t work in a baitcaster!

After I caught a couple it was fun! I’m looking for a reason to try mine out again!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NHbassfisherman View Post
    Yeah, I am talking 3/8 Oz or 1/2 Oz jigs. So guess i'll keep them on my baitcaster set up. Figured as much but just figured I would ask.
    For that size I use a baitcaster, but if you prefer spinning a MH/F or MH/XF spinning rod will handle those as long as its within rods lure weight rating. I don't get hung up on baitcaster vs spinning rod debate I use many of both for different techniques. After living in Florida fishing salt and Montana fishing small streams I have no bias, they both have places with me.

Dobyns makes a Champion 705s. It's a heavy power 7' spinning rod. It's got the ass to handle what you described if you wanted to.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

I have been fishing smaller jigs a bit this summer. Mainly 1/8 - 3/16 size. Been swimming them with 2.8 Keitechs as a trailer and also using various craw type trailers. I have settled on an ALX Zolo McSmalls as my rod of choice. Braid with a 6 lb. fluoro leader.

I do it because it is fun, 1-2 lb. bass are a hoot on light tackle. And swimming those little jigs is working right now and August is a tough time of year to catch fish down here in the daytime. I wouldn't do it if I was fishing a 5 fish tourney, but it's a great way to have fun.

Molix has a jig called the Nano jig, better hook and skirt than the "Ike" jigs IMO.

14. Member
    I don't know of any bait you couldn't use a spinning rod with as long as everything is balanced.

15. Member
    With most casting jigs or any other bait where you really need to thump them to make a thick hook penetrate, casting gear gets it done better for me. I'm currently having sketchy results keeping fish pinned with a shakey head worm, I believe it's because the distance the spinning reel is mounted from the rod - causes the rod to rotate on sweepsets and reduce the power.

That said, spinning gear is essential IMO for throwing balsa stickbaits (and especially in the wind), or skipping lightweight stuff (Flukes).

16. Member
    I'll throw a 1/4-3/8 football jig without a weed guard with a menace grub/twin tail grub. If there is a weed guard or I'm over 3/8 I'll throw it on a baitcaster.

Keep in mind I'm throwing this in open water for smallmouth. I'm not in a rush to get them into the boat at all.

17. Member
    I use 3/8oz jigs with a 7'6" M/F St Croix Legend Elite spinning rod handles them nicely.