Interested in an out of state Champion

Hi, I'm looking for some advice regarding possibly purchasing a Champion boat 2000 miles away.
    I live in California and the seller lives outside Tulsa OK. I'm not new to the Champion family but I feel have outgrew my current Champion (203) and a (210) would be the right boat. Also, I'm comfortable with the motor.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by jeffleo; 07-15-2019 at 07:49 PM.

2. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Just check with your local registration authority on the hull, motor and trailer and see what is needed for you to transfer ownership to CA. In TX the hull and motor are titled through Texas Parks and Wildlife and the trailer (for a 210) is titled through the state DMV through our county of residence. In TX, trailers with less than or equal to 4000 lbs GVWR only require registration. A 210 trailer has a 5000 lb GVWR. If the owner doesn't have a title for the trailer if required, you might also ask the how to question from your agency. Lots of folks make the deal & pick it up then run into issues when they get the boat back to their state.

Good luck!

3. Banned
    You have to be prepared to have taken a wasted 4000 mile trip to look at a boat. Sellers aren’t real good about full disclosures.

4. Member
    When I bought my 08 210 back in 2013 I was living in Gainseville, FL. The boat was in Milwaukee,WI. I had good cooperation from the seller. He provided every picture I asked for and I asked for a lot. If you have good communication and enough of it you will get an idea on how you want to proceed.
    GETFISHED !!!

5. Member
    I thought about the same boat you're talking about. Price has dropped a lot in a few weeks. Good looking rig and the motor I want, but like you I would want to know everything before I drive 8 hrs to look at.

I have ridden and driven the 210 in Coweta. I promise you it is everything it is advertised as and more. Extremely clean, garage kept, professionally maintained. The buyer whoever it ends up being will not be disappointed. If I had the cash I would be buying.

7. Okchamp210
    The 210 is my boat, feel free to ask any questions. Most of you all that have contacted me know why it is being sold. (Hate to let it go)

I just got it back yesterday from Blackbeard Marine in Tulsa and had full report done on engine test.

169-175 all six cylinders/100 hours on power head, excellent condition per mechanic.

Thank you

Boat has been very well taken care of.

Check with supermat, Matt Allen from TacticalBassin. Super nice guy. He can fill you in on buying a boat from out of State since his latest Champion was from out of State.
    2012 Stratos ChampioN 183 Elite
    Mercury 175 ProXS

9. Member
    I live in CO, bought my champ in east TN. Spent a lot of time talking to the seller. He did multiple live video chats, went over the entire boat, trailer, everything. Also sent me video running it on the lake before I drove out. He was willing to hold it for me for about a month until I could get down to get it, also gave me the shop information that installed the motor, etc. so I could talk to them. I'd say if the seller is willing to answer any question and provide that level of information, I don't think you would be risking too much.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

10. Member
    I bought my 206 from PowerStoc in southern Nashville TN. They sent great pictures and it was just as pertrayed during the sale. I was prepared to turn around and head back to Houston if it had any issues but it is the best boat I have ever owned. Good luck I hope it works out for you.
    2001 Champion 206, Yamaha 250 V-Max hpdi
    1997 Nitro Savage 884, Mercury150 XR6, 8" Slidemaster Jack Plate

11. Member
    Agree with comments above. You could end up with a better comfort level with it even being far away if the seller is willing to provide the info that you could seeing one in person. Let me tell you, if you don't know what to look for, even in person you can get screwed. I'm pretty sure the seller of my 191 had a clue about all the structural issues we found a couple of months after we bought it and was being very coy about things with me. Hindsight is 20-20. So with the right seller, I wouldn't worry about distance either.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

12. Member
    You can always pay for an actual boat inspection. Peace of mind.

13. Member
    I've considered going at checking out the 210 in question. It better be spotless for the asking price.

14. Okchamp210
    It is very clean Fastbird

Sounds like a bunch of tire kickers.....

16. Okchamp210
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrashack View Post
    Sounds like a bunch of tire kickers.....

Boat is Sold pending payment

Congrats on sale.

One thing I don't get about all of this thread and I know this is beating a dead horse. I have seen other instances(on this board and others) when people who live is close proximity will go and check out a boat to see if it is worth the price and see how slick it is, not just sit back and throw stones..............I guess sometimes true colors have a tendency to shine through. Whoever the buyer is got a great boat.

18. Member
    Wow, pretty much in the same boat (Haha) as you. Have a 203 in California and driving 2000 miles one way next week for a 210.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrashack View Post
    I have ridden and driven the 210 in Coweta. I promise you it is everything it is advertised as and more. Extremely clean, garage kept, professionally maintained. The buyer whoever it ends up being will not be disappointed. If I had the cash I would be buying.
    If the timing were better Shack, you would've been looking at that boat in my garage. Bummer it didn't make it up to MN to one of us.