Almost done with the carpet job

I will say one thing I almost feel sorry for the Bass Cat employees that do carpet on these boats every day
    my 03 Cougar the carpet was getting really bad and starting to rip in some areas like up by the TM pedal area. So decided to tackle the task myself.
    I am just about finished have the floor most of the way glued down with only a couple of small areas left to do. then just put everything back together like locker lids and so on.
    I did some checking around locally and for someone to do a Carpet job it was really expensive some were almost $2000 even after I bought the carpet myself. one place told me $800 just to lay the carpet down after I removed it all and prepped the areas. So me being frugal I decided to do it on my own. Thankfully I have a nice shop at my brothers house to do it in or I would have never got it done.
    I did a padded deck on the front which I was a little concerned about doing but glad now that I did.
    ill try and get some pictures posted here in the next day or so.

2. Member
    Can’t wait to see it!

3. Member
    From my understanding its labor intensive. Thus the high installation price. Get some pics up when your done. New carpet really resurrects a boat!
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Got our 96 Eyra done this past winter at a local shop. Padded the entire front deck and carpet entire boat for $900 locally. Turn around time was 4 days.

Last edited by Luke; 07-16-2019 at 09:06 AM.

got 3 small pieces of carpet to trim it out and then put the alum carpet trim back on then the carpet is all done then to put the seats back in and that part will be all done.
    have more to do still with new Bunk boards and fenders but those will have to wait as I am going to wet sand the side of the boat while the fenders are off so ill be adding to this thread some more.
    got a few more little things that I want to do so its going to be a pretty long process to get all done what I want. but I feel like I am getting somewhere now that the carpet is pretty much done. that was the biggest PITA that I had to do but it really needed done.

7. Member
    Nice job Luke!
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

8. Member
    Looking great!!! Excellent work!
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Nice job.

10. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    It looks good!
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

Looks like you need to clean up the Smartcraft units once your done with carpet. Easy to do.

Looks good!!
    "heard it in a love song.........can't be wrong"

13. Bobby8
    Nice!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cd4th View Post
    Looks like you need to clean up the Smartcraft units once your done with carpet. Easy to do.
    Yea the lenses are pretty bad. I found the replacement lenses but im a little worried that the guage itself is so brittle that it might break when taking apart.
    have watched some of the you tube vids about it. just haven't done anything with them yet but its on my list

15. Member
    Looking good. Did mine 2 years ago and well worth it. I wondered about the padded deck, how was that for putting carpet down? You contact adhesive the pad down then put carpet over it? Stupid question but not sure if there's more to it.

carpet 11.jpg
    carpet 12.jpg
    carpet 13.jpg

carpet is now all done and seats back in. Really glad that part is done. made a huge difference in the way the boat looks that's for sure.
    got quite a few more projects for it that need done or just what I want to do but will have to wait a while just because we are going to the lake for vacation for a week come the first of Aug and its hard for me to get a ton of time to work on the boat.
    so next will be to replace the bunks on the trailer as they are in pretty bad shape. Had looked at doing a lot of things with those but have made my mind up now to just put the treated wood bunks down with no carpet on them or anything. My boat has the Gorilla hull on it so it eats carpet up pretty quick, and some of the other things I have looked at like Gatorbak I am leary on as I have heard thoughts that the Gorilla hull will eat them up to and that's $400 for the Gatorbak bunks. so im just going to use wood bunks and no carpet.
    but will do this when we go to the lake and the boat is off the trailer. will be much easier for me to do them that way.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfishrman View Post
    Looking good. Did mine 2 years ago and well worth it. I wondered about the padded deck, how was that for putting carpet down? You contact adhesive the pad down then put carpet over it? Stupid question but not sure if there's more to it.
    as far as the padded deck. honestly it wasn't too bad to put down really. got it cut to the size I wanted then just put a coat of contact cement down and it just went down like the carpet. I will say you have to kind of watch it because it does want to bubble up. so you have to put some type of weight on it for at least a day and have to keep kind of messing with moving it where it bubbles up. mine got down with no bubbles so I was really glad of that. on the edges of it you can see where its glued down to the deck and kind of has a Step. what I did there was use the contact cement like its meant to be used. I glued the center down all the way till about 2" of the edge all the way around, once the carpet was dried good I took the contact cement and put a coat on the carpet and put a coat on the deck, I used some spring clamps to hold the carpet away from the deck until the glue dried good. then just moved from one end to the other pressing it down so it adhered well and it stuck like crazy. I had quite a few people tell me that using the Welwood Contact cement in the red can that I was wrong doing that. well the stuff worked great and was really easy to use but does take some time to get used to. I started with all the lids and moved from smallest to biggest lid to get a feel for how the glue goes down.

18. Member
    If the gorilla hull eats carpet, you don't think it'll eat wood?

Not no where near as bad no