Echomap+ 93sv screen water damage

Over the weekend, I turned on my front display (93sv) and the unit lite up but had what appeared to be water trapped under the glass. All four connectors on the back of the cradle are in use, O-rings on connectors are in place, and connections were tight. Not sure how the water entered the unit. I took a picture of the display and sent to the support technician at Garmin. He showed the warrantee group and they agreed to not replace the unit under warrantee. I guess this is something they won't cover on a 4 month old unit? Not happy at all. Everyone raves about the support Garmin provides but this experience was not good for me. They are sending me a refurbished unit for $214 so I guess that's good but I feel this is $214 that I shouldn't have to spend. Has anyone had a similar problem with water in the display? I attached a picture of what the display looks like when powered on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Did you ask why they wont replace a 4 month old unit?? I would think they would/should. They do say these units are IPX7. I'd call instead of emailing....

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/legal/waterrating
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    I called and talked to support. I only emailed them the picture. Almost feel like I shouldn't have sent them the picture. It was after that they said the unit is damaged and not under warrantee. Yes I expressed that a 4 month old unit should be replaced. I agree with the rating. The unit has experienced some rain and possibly a couple splashes but that's all. It is on the bow of the boat so it sees more impact when running in rough water than the ones on the dash.

4. Member
    Something is not right. Got to be more to your story. Bought it second hand, struck it with a weight or jig. If that’s the whole story I surely wouldn’t give up.

ROCK CHALK

5. Member
    So I understand thinking there is more to the story. The truth is nothing to my knowledge has happened to the unit. 2 weeks ago it worked fine. My boat is stored inside except for when fishing. Two weeks ago I fished in a pretty bad rainstorm. This is when I think the water somehow entered the unit. I powered it up on Friday to find the problem. Like I mentioned, it does see a bit more abuse on the bow of the boat because of bouncing in the waves. I've had Lowrance in the past and left my old HDS 7 on the bow for years in much rougher conditions than the new Garmin has experienced with no issues. I've read through the warrantee information with Garmin and don't understand why they won't replace the unit free of charge. Does anyone have a better contact at Garmin or should I just try customer support again? This has been eating at me since talking to them earlier today! I've got to at least call Garmin back and get a better explanation....

6. Member
    That unit appears to have had a substantial hit on the lower housing and display. They wouldn't warranty one of mine with similar damage.
    Rick Collis
    903-473-8820

From the photo is does look like impact damage (trust me, I've gone through enough phone screens to know!), which would likely be why the engineers weren't willing to warranty it.

8. Member
    I'm sure you know what screen damage from impact looks like. It should show up without turning the power on. Having the power on can make it harder to see. If you're certain it's not screen damage then I'd skip the telephone support and use the email support. That way it's not just Garmin that has a documented record of the communication exchanges. If it's not screen damage take it to someone, maybe you know a friend at you local cell phone store. Get that second opinion documented with pictures at different angles with the unit off. Send all that via email to support. Product.Support@garmin.com
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

9. Member
    So I called back into Garmin and discussed further. You guys are correct in the photo appearing to be a screen crack. That is the reason for no warranty. Although I wish I would have taken a pic of the water in the screen that I noticed on Friday. It did not appear to be a screen crack. Garmin thinks it's possible the water trapped inside could have heated and expanded during the almost 100 degree temperatures over the weekend which could have caused the crack.

I'm just concerned where the water entered in the first place. They assured me if the problem came back on the refurbished unit they would cover it and probably send a new cradle.

Not as frustrated as earlier but still concerned water may be entering through the cradle. I'll keep a close eye on the replacement.

Thanks for everyone's input! Great info on this forum!

10. Member
    I discussed this in great detail with Garmin. They assured me the screen could be cracked underneath the glass and would show nothing to the visible eye with the unit powered off.