Thread: Missing a beat

Missing a beat

I have a 2014 Mercury Pro XS, 250 HP. Lately at full throttle, it "misses a beat". It feels like a slight skip. It hasn't happened a lower rpm's. I've change the fuel filters, but it still happens. Any idea what might be causing this?

2. Member
    Perform a spark test as the problem is occurring.

3. Member
    I'm not sure what a spark test is or how to perform it. Please explain.

4. Member
    Attach a timing light to each plug lead and look for a inconsistent flashing pattern, as the problem is occurring.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Attach a timing light to each plug lead and look for a inconsistent flashing pattern, as the problem is occurring.
    That is quite a chore at WOT!

Does the tach reflect this change with a momentary drop?
    Thank You Leon Pugh

7. Member
    It will be posted, so please see Announcement at top of forum and provide the required info (engine serial number).

You say you replaced the fuel filters, there should only be one. Do you have another fuel filter other than the one under the engine cowl?
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

When were the Spark Plugs last replaced? Gap? Torqued to 20 lbs/ft with a Torque Wrench?

Any wear on any of the Plug Wires?

Water spots around the spark plug openings?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    I took it to the shop, and the mechanic suggested changing the spark plugs first. He tested the coils and they seemed to be fine. Hope this is the answer. But to answer your question, the plugs were last changed in October 2018.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Be sure to report back with results (and provide serial number).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor