Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2001 Evinrude 225 hp not cranking with turn of key

Hello guys,
    really appreciate these forums they have helped me a lot in the past. As of now, I am completely lost on what to try next. When i do a 1/4 turn of the key the ignition engages and goes through its system check ( Oil, heat, etc.). I hear the beep. Then when i do another 1/4 turn of the key the starter is suppose to engage and start the engine, but instead i get nothing. I get no noises at all. No clicking like a dead battery no clicking at the solenoid. Below is what I have done.

-New cranking battery fully charged 2 weeks old
    -Engine cables connected to battery and secured. Terminals are clean. Cable hook ups are clean.
    -Shifter handle is in neutral. Triple checked.
    -Kill switch is hooked up appropriately.
    -Ignition wiring is good at dash. No loose/corroded connections.
    -Ignition wiring to Power control assembly is good.
    -Power control assembly ignition relays are good. Replaced them to make sure.
    -Ignition fuses in power control assembly are good. Replaced them to make sure.
    -Wiring to solenoid is good.
    -Jumped solenoid to test starter. Starter is good.
    -Replaced Solenoid.
    -Wiring from Solenoid to Starter is good.
    -Bypassed the shifter handle neutral safety feature to ensure the shifter handle was shifting into neutral properly.

Will be getting multimeter to test all the voltages and current flow through each section of the starting process. Have no clue what else to do.
    thank you in advance for the help.

UPDATE
    I checked the “S” terminal on the solenoid with a voltage meter. I got no reading. So I followed that “S” terminal wire and ran into a relay that was hidden underneath the solenoid and a giant bundle of wires.
    I took the relay that I found out and switched it with a power trim relay that I know was good. My motor cranked. Thinking I fixed the issue I put everything back together. Came outside and tried cranking it a half hour later and it didn't work again.
    Went back to that relay for the "S" terminal on the solenoid and unplugged it. Jumped it with a wire, everytime I jump the relay port with a wire it cranks over great. I put the relay in and it doesn't work. I've tried 6 different relays that I know are good.

UPDATE 2
    I plugged in the delay relay. I unplugged the EMM module and plugged it back in.

My motor cranked. My fuel Pump did not turn on. I hooked my motor up to muffs and Tried starting it to confirm the fuel pump was not working. So I went to the fuel Pump relay, unplugged it, tapped it on boat deck and plugged it back in. Fuel pump now turns on and the starter engages. As of now i am thinking the unplugging of the EMM fixed the ignition issue and the tapping on the fuel pump relay fixed the fuel pump issue.

As of now all is fixed. Thanks for all the help! I doubt it will continue to work but I will be replacing the fuel pump relay.
    Last edited by ark50000; 07-16-2019 at 07:23 PM.

2. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Can you hear the fuel pump kick on in the first 1/4 turn of key?

Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    Can you hear the fuel pump kick on in the first 1/4 turn of key?
    No. I forgot to post that above. Sorry about that. That was another noise i was suppose to hear and did not. No fuel pump and no click in solenoid. This makes me think its something with the ignition. Just not sure what.

When you get your meter check at the "S" terminal of the solenoid for voltage when you turn the key switch from on to start. One thing to look for is the connector on the key switch, the wires will break inside the insulator where it goes into the connection terminal!
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

Quote Originally Posted by Danrude View Post
    When you get your meter check at the "S" terminal of the solenoid for voltage when you turn the key switch from on to start. One thing to look for is the connector on the key switch, the wires will break inside the insulator where it goes into the connection terminal!
    Thank you Danrude. So on the Solenoid there are 4 terminals. Positive and negative then two smaller terminals. Is the "S" terminal one of the smaller ones?

I will be double checking the wiring that is a great point. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ark50000 View Post
    Thank you Danrude. So on the Solenoid there are 4 terminals. Positive and negative then two smaller terminals. Is the "S" terminal one of the smaller ones?

I will be double checking the wiring that is a great point. Thanks!
    Yes it is one of the small wires and there should be an "S" marked on the solenoid! If my memory is correct it is a green/yellow wire coming from the start delay relay.
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

Yes it is one of the small wires and there should be an "S" marked on the solenoid! If my memory is correct it is a green/yellow wire coming from the start delay relay.
    No markings on the solenoid but i should be able to use process of elimination to figure out which terminal is the S terminal. I cannot remember the colors, but i will post and update after i look at it tonight. Thanks for the help! It is much appreciated.

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You have two small wires one is black and is ground the other may be Green/Yellow but may be Yellow/Red. The yellow/red is from the neutral safety switch.

Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    You have two small wires one is black and is ground the other may be Green/Yellow but may be Yellow/Red. The yellow/red is from the neutral safety switch.
    Thank you. There is a chance it is a bad ground wire. Would be the only case i could think of where there's power going to the starter solenoid, but the starter is still not engaging. So i will be checking the "S" terminal for power. If there is power, I will be checking the ground wire and following it as far as i can to ensure there are no shorts, damage etc.

So I took the voltage meter and touched the ground to the ground on the starter solenoid. I touched the positive to the “S” terminal and had someone turn the key. I got no reading when the key was turned to start the motor. What does this mean? Issue with ignition switch?
    thank you!

Start with the back of the key switch and check for voltage at "S" connection, yellow/red wire. From the key switch it will go to the neutral safety switch then to the start delay relay. coming out of the relay the wires change color to the yellow/green and go to the solenoid. I suspect a broken wire but could be the neutral safety switch.
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

UPDATE
    I checked the “S” terminal on the solenoid with a voltage meter. I got no reading. So I followed that “S” terminal wire and ran into a relay that was hidden underneath the solenoid and a giant bundle of wires.
    I took the relay that I found out and switched it with a power trim relay that I know was good. My motor cranked. Thinking I fixed the issue I put everything back together. Came outside and tried cranking it a half hour later and it didn't work again.
    Went back to that relay for the "S" terminal on the solenoid and unplugged it. Jumped it with a wire, everytime I jump the relay port with a wire it cranks over great. I put the relay in and it doesn't work. I've tried 6 different relays that I know are good.

I got a similare problem with an Evinrude 150 2000.
    No power trim, everything seemed to be good, switchs working good, 12 v to the electric power trim motor.
    After test, there was 12 v but not intensity when push the trim button.
    The fault came from a bad weld on the Power Distribution Panel, this weld was burned.
    It's easy to remove the back of PDP with a cutter, and re-weld.
    Start from 2002 model Evinrude, this PDP is stronger and some gel is molded in the PDP.

Do you hear the fuel pump run each time you turn the key to ON, even though the motor will not start? If not, check the Power Distribution Panel per the diagram in the service manual and the not only the fuses inside of it, but the 20amp fuse going to the EMM. Often there is corrosion and intermittent connection inside the fuse holder.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

Quote Originally Posted by starflite View Post
    I got a similare problem with an Evinrude 150 2000.
    No power trim, everything seemed to be good, switchs working good, 12 v to the electric power trim motor.
    After test, there was 12 v but not intensity when push the trim button.
    The fault came from a bad weld on the Power Distribution Panel, this weld was burned.
    It's easy to remove the back of PDP with a cutter, and re-weld.
    Start from 2002 model Evinrude, this PDP is stronger and some gel is molded in the PDP.
    Hey Starflife,
    I have power going from the ignition to a relay. I have no power going from the relay to the solenoid. I am thinking it is the plug or an incorrect amount of voltage going into the relay. When i jump the relay port with a wire it works. When i insert the relay it does no.

You have two other wires going into the relay socket, they are from the EMM and the PDP and they control the switching of the relay. So you have determined that the relay is not the problem! The problem is pointing to the EMM or the PDP as the problem.
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

You have two other wires going into the relay socket, they are from the EMM and the PDP and they control the switching of the relay. So you have determined that the relay is not the problem! The problem is pointing to the EMM or the PDP as the problem.
    Hey Danrude,
    How confident are you the wiring goes into the EMM module?

I feel like i proved everything is working together appropriately by jumping the relay port with a wire. The motor cranked when i jumped the relay port. If the motor cranks when i use a wire does this prove everything is communicating appropriately? I attached a picture with everything labeled.

My next steps are to take apart the plug and look at all the connections to ensure they are making stable contact with the relay prongs.

delay relay.jpg
    Last edited by ark50000; 07-16-2019 at 01:39 PM.

I am looking at the wiring diagram in the service manual! When you use the jumper wire you are taking the relay out of the circuit providing a current path from the key/neutral safety switch direct to the solenoid not allowing the Emm to delay the start.
    Quote Originally Posted by ark50000 View Post
    Hey Danrude,
    How confident are you the wiring goes into the EMM module?

I feel like i proved everything is working together appropriately by jumping the relay port with a wire. The motor cranked when i jumped the relay port. If the motor cranks when i use a wire does this prove everything is communicating appropriately? I attached a picture with everything labeled.

My next steps are to take apart the plug and look at all the connections to ensure they are making stable contact with the relay prongs.

delay relay.jpg
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

19. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Been there done this.....If the fuel pump fails to run when the key switch is turned on....usually the PDP.....

I agree! Since the PDP of that time frame are known to develop cold solder joints that can cause intermittent problems, I would concentrate on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    Been there done this.....If the fuel pump fails to run when the key switch is turned on....usually the PDP.....
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast