water pump project

92....175 johnson......friend of mine gonna help me with my water pump.
    been looking at u tube and for the life of me i can't find the connection to undo
    the shift shaft. (port side)? do i need to take the cowling off to get at it. really can't see it other than
    that looks ezy enough.

2. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=257951

Just noticed that isn't for the eagle engines.....the connector is on starboard side and can be done without removing lower pans.....tricky....
    Last edited by Bassmeister; 07-15-2019 at 07:22 AM.

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Shift to forward, remove cotter pin from front end of shift rod link to free from shift rod. Remove hitch pin from shift rod and push shift rod to the left to disengage shift rod from shift shaft. Reverse process for install. Don't forget bolt under trim tab. Hint #1 when lower is out of motor use a marker to place mark on gear case housing and drive shaft, so splines line up for re-install. Hint #2 us a piece of masking tape to hold lower exhaust housing into mid section.

what side is the connection for the shift shaft?
    u tube said to put it in reverse to take out the shaft..atleast i
    thought it said that

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    It is on the right side of the motor next to the carbs. In most cases you shift to reverse to remove the shift rod screw. On the 60* motors you shift to forward. As I said you remove the cotter pin from the link to the shift shaft, then pull the hitch pin on the shift shaft and push to the left. This will disengage the pin for the shift rod.