Thread: 25ft crankbaits

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

25ft crankbaits

what crankbait are y’all using to hit the 25ft mark? i love the 10xd but at $15 each im looking for GOOD LESS EXPENSIVE alternatives that may save a few bucks. i also like the 6th sense cloud 25 which is alot cheaper and probably just as good. i ordered some manns 30+ and could not get the one i tried to go as deep as the others mentioned and the quality of the bait was horrible. the paint was not clear coated which caused the colors to bleed and deteriorate after its first use. i also think the hooks are too small for a plug that size. does anyone else make a bait to reach 25+ ft in a smaller more compact size thats any good?

thx in advance

I'd be curious to see what people say too. I just got one of the Dredger 25.5's and haven't had a chance to throw it yet. Not as big as the 10 or 8XD, but I think it might legitimately get down to 20+.
    I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.

3. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Have you looked at 6th Sense CB's??? Dont have any experience with them....just a brand that came to mind...

https://6thsensefishing.com/collecti...se-cloud-9-c25
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chefdlh1972 View Post
    I'd be curious to see what people say too. I just got one of the Dredger 25.5's and haven't had a chance to throw it yet. Not as big as the 10 or 8XD, but I think it might legitimately get down to 20+.
    forgot to mention i tried the 25.5 dredger and i THINK because of its smaller size i was not able to get it as deep as a 10xd. if it hit its stated depth it would be a gamechanger imo because it would catch alot of the smaller fish that i think are intimidated by the size of the 10xd.

Was wondering about that, partly because of the post someone had on here a week or so ago with Fritts talking about deep cranking. I think he (or someone else?) was saying how those larger cranks might spook some fish on some lakes. But I think he also said something about smaller cranks maybe coming through the water easier? I dunno
    I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.

6. Member
    The Dredger is a good alternative, I've been using them for a couple years now and on 10lb floro they get down 25 feet. I usually throw them on 10 or 12, and they catch fish. The hooks are pretty good out of the package also.

7. Member
    Fritts said the 10xx was over kill. Also said they went to deep. I love to fish deep and with a few exceptions a 5-6-8 xd covers the depth I need . I love the 6th sense as well. By the time fish in lakes around me go deep the thermocline has sometimes setup so 16+ is not an issue.

8. Member
    I just can't hardly stand to crank and wind a 10XD. It's like pulling a hubcap through the water. A DD22 in stock form won't go that deep. There used to be a guy in the Knoxville area that got DD22 halves. He filled them extra heavy in the rattle chamber. They would not float nor suspend but they would dive that deep. Something has happened to him because I've not seen him at the fishing show since back in the day when it was at the Jacob Building. I still might have 1 or 2 of his DD22's. I think that they no longer sell DD22 halves and that may be the reason he quit. I believe this guy was from Tazewell, TN or Middlesboro, KY. His dad or grandpa one worked for a distributor if I remember right.

Another solution I've personally done is to but a weight in the bill of a deep diver. The Mann's 20+ used to work well with it because the bill was a little thicker. I made a mold with a drill bit to pour lead buttons about 1/4" wide and a rounded 1/8" deep. Then drill the bill below the line tie in the center of it. Epoxy the lead button into the bill.

9. Banned
    In my experience you can get a Mann's 20 plus down to 22 feet. A Mann's 30 plus can hit close to 30. 10-12 Fluorocarbon and length of cast.
    The ole kneel and reel can get it deeper. Here are the 3 models Mann's currently makes.

Deep ledge series, Depth plus series, E-Z 30+

Flickershad.....of course I'm dragging it behind 150-200 ft of lead core line though.

11. Member
    Lucky Craft SKT Mag 120 will bump bottom at 25 and you can buy them for around $10 if you but more than one.

I have a few Salmo's -25' and also a few Cotton Cordell's -30' which are cheap to come by but usually only use them when trolling but usually only after Walleye with good results. Have occasionally picked up a few bass as well including my personal best Rockbass at 14".
    97 Stratos 288
    175 Evenrude Intruder
    Humminbird electronics
    Garmin electronics
    Fortrex112
    2012 Ford Lariat 250

13. Member
    Just throw a 1 or 1.5 oz. white spinnerbait with two big willow blades. Let it sink to the bottom and then slow roll it back. It will catch the same fish with about 10% of the work. I actually think it gets better reaction bites than the deep cranks. When the spinnerbait bite dies down, throw just about any bigger swimbait with a 1 oz head. When the swimbait bite slows down, throw a magnum spoon. I love to fish deep and with those three baits there is really no reason or need to work yourself to death with big crankbaits.

14. Scraps
    I'd be looking at the 6th Sense and Rapala's. I have some of the smaller Berkley baits and they dive really quickly, to the point I have to back off with a 6.4:1 reel or else the lip won't bite and dive.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

15. Member
    I use 1 oz. rattle traps and just let them sink. Like spinner or swim baits they're much easier to control and retrieve

I don't buy any big crankbaits anymore that aren't Profound Outdoors ZBoss series deep divers anymore...they won't kill you on the retrieve like others do...the 20s will dive down to 18 feet or so..the 22s I can get to 20 ft and the 25s I can get to about 25 ft. If I wanted a smaller profile I have used a shad rap with split shot almost like a carolina rig. Use enough to make it sink but far enough away to allow the bait to work..
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

17. Member
    The 10XD is the deepest diver in my experience. The dredger is alot easier. But, it doesnt dive as deep for me. I've also had to tune about half of the ones I bought. Ditto on the zboss series. Every one I've had runs true and is fairly easy to crank. I throw everything on 12lb line.

18. Member
    whatever happened to the manns deep ledge series
    big 4-0.It was shown at icast but i never found one
    in a store for sale.

Wouldn't being up off the bottom a little bit work better anyway? Seems like if they are in 25ft on the bottom you'd want to be fishing above them at 24-23 foot anyway with them feeding up. I mean I know when we troll cranks were not dredging the bottom and still catching bass/walleye no problem.

20. Banned

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast