Please help with replacing winch strap on RT188.

Hi. Need to replace the winch strap on my RT188. After I unwind the current winch strap will I be able to loosen the bolt with wrenches and then slide up enough to finish removing it? Or do I have to remove the winch spool (probably not the right term)? Also, it didn't come with a bolt. Does anyone know the size? These are probably dumb questions. Just like to know what I'm getting into. Have boated for 40+ years and never changed a winch strap. hanks for your help.

I had to do mine and it is no big deal to do. You do not have to remove the wench itself. There is a pin that holds the strap to the center spool. When you unwind the strap, it is pretty self-explanatory. I think I actually bought mine at WalMart or maybe Bass Pro. Any boating store like West Marine or a Bass Pro should have them. I am not positive, but I think it is 2 inches. Mine was just a standard length which I guess is about 25 feet. It is easy to do.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

Need to rethink your safety strap though if yours is attached directly to the winch strap like many on the RT's. Probably not gonna find that and will need to set up a seperate safety strap or use a screw link to attach it to the eye of the new hook. That is gonna require cutting the eye of the old hook to free the safety strap.

4. Member
    Unless your strap is really weird (possible), you can do the job in ten minutes. Pull old strap out; loosen retaining bolt; remove bolt and strap...put new one on in reverse order. I bought and used one of these, but not on your specific boat. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

5. Member
    I have one from Ranger, so it has the attached winch strap. My concern is replacing the old one & whether I'm likely to encounter something weird. Thanks.

Then with the origional strap from Ranger with the safety strap attached you will have no problems. Like said, once you unwind the old strap it will be obvious what to do.

7. Member
    Thanks for your help.

I have one from Ranger, so it has the attached winch strap.
    If I may ask, did you order that from Ranger, and if so... What did it set you back?

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    Then with the origional strap from Ranger with the safety strap attached you will have no problems. Like said, once you unwind the old strap it will be obvious what to do.
    Boats I have had in the past had separate safety strap and main strap and separate hooks for both. That's the way I went back with mine because I felt it added some security. I was not really fond of having one failure point for both straps. When the main strap broke, I fixed it the way I wanted. I don't really worry about the ramp but I travel the interstate a lot and like what I think is a little added security, but it would probably be fine either way.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA