How do you fix a rod guide?

I went fishing this morning and must have stepped on my rod because I noticed the plastic ring from one of the guides popped loose. Does anyone have a good DIY fix for this?

welcome to bbc, mudhole has numerous videos and parts/supplies for repair work, but if your just gonna do one or two, cheaper to have a shop repair them, it's easy to do, but unless your going to be doing a bunch it'll be costly

Putting a clown in the castle doesn't make him a king, it turns the castle into a circus

3. Banned
    Mud Hole rod building has everything you need, I use an old rock tumbler to rotate the rod while applying/drying the epoxy

Quote Originally Posted by jds007 View Post
    I went fishing this morning and must have stepped on my rod because I noticed the plastic ring from one of the guides popped loose. Does anyone have a good DIY fix for this?
    Girl I fish with had one of the inserts pop out. I super glued it back in and it has not come out again.

P01135809

5. Member
    I have a small box of old rod guides and tips from poles that have broke or I have picked up at garage sales for parts, I save them for such an occasion, strip off the parts I want to save, toss out the remains. I just make a cardboard box holding jig for the rod and I can usually find some thread in the wife's sewing cabinet close to the color, cut off the old guide and just do a hand wrap, I have a couple old Popsicle stick I use to straighten the line, 5 minute epoxy, small model car paint brush, twirl the rod by hand and your back in business. I probably have 5-6 rods that I have fished for 10 plus years with repairs like this, just take your time. Quite a few UTube videos on how to do it, piece of cake.
    Jerry "Rat-L-Trap" Lehman
    Never Enough "Traps"
    Triton TR-21 Merc Optimax 225
    Living Life Large at Toledo Bend

6. Member
    The guy who used to do all the repairs for Falcon is good buddies with my dad. Best $6 you ever spent. Can’t tell which one he replaced when he’s done.

7. Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..
    Take Doctorjj on his offer if your close. If its only 50 miles or less. Other wise a small bottle of Gorilla glue(super glue) will work. A insert can snap back in but a 2 tiny micro sckopick of super glue will hold it for ever. I would practice with a paper clip on something different and only use the flat end of the clip to glue it.The rod need to be secure when you fix it. I also would glue the insert frame. I have had a bunch of rods fixed by a rod builder that come out perfect. 5+ years ago -it was $10 but it took a week to wrap and set.If you ask the local shop they usually have a rod fixer but eyes, cork, reel seat are the only thing I would get repaired. I would also get the phone number of the repair guy to approve any options.

Very carefully.
    Last edited by Delta Bass Fool; 07-19-2019 at 01:22 AM.
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

9. Banned
    Just pop it back in a put a drop of super glue on it. No reason to replace the guide.

10. Member
    You asked how I replace a guide. I save broken rods, and have a selection of new and used guides in a large jar. Selecting a guide of the proper size, and one that matches the color and style of the broken guide is sometimes hard. New guides must have the top ground down to a taper slightly at the point, just look at a used one. Anyhow here's the way I do it, I do not recommend this unless you are really careful.
    If it's a large guide NOT A MICRO GUIDE, I heat it red hot away from the blank with a propane torch. The flame must not touch the rod or the rod will be instantly ruined. I use a razor blade to remove the epoxy near the eye end if it softened. Then while the old guide is hot, I grab it with plyers and turn it back and forth to loosen it under the wrap without tearing the old wrap. Once the wrap is loose I slide the guide out of the wrap. Then I slide the replacement guide under the old wrap fully. A dab of super glue will immobilize the wrap, then paint over the wrap with two part epoxy. If you have an old rotisserie from a backyard BBQ and can fasten the butt end to it ( I use a large hole saw, with two rubber bands intersecting in the middle to hold the butt) and can rotate the rod slowly, the epoxy will look really good.
    This is not the proper way to do it but I do it all the time, the results look good, and the guides do not fall off. I can re-wrap guides, but my results look not-so-good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratltrap View Post
    I have a small box of old rod guides and tips from poles that have broke or I have picked up at garage sales for parts, I save them for such an occasion, strip off the parts I want to save, toss out the remains. I just make a cardboard box holding jig for the rod and I can usually find some thread in the wife's sewing cabinet close to the color, cut off the old guide and just do a hand wrap, I have a couple old Popsicle stick I use to straighten the line, 5 minute epoxy, small model car paint brush, twirl the rod by hand and your back in business. I probably have 5-6 rods that I have fished for 10 plus years with repairs like this, just take your time. Quite a few UTube videos on how to do it, piece of cake.
    This. Have several that I fixed with old guides I saved.

12. Member
    David Dudley has a good how-to video on YouTube

13. Member
    Well, remember keep the heat source off the rod that's why I use a small torch because the flame is directed to a point. I also heat the replacement tip just before I put it over the hot glue to aid transfer of the glue. Don't heat the tip too much or too fast or the insert will pop out.
    He says use Super Glue, that's good but don't use it on a replacement guide until you have the guide installed and aligned. That is when to apply it.

I went ahead and bought a multi rod roller, And everything needed to repair guides. Got old and broken rods in the garage for extra guides. Usually repair rods once or twice a year.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team