Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Lower Unit Housing Blew Apart...

While running on plane at 5500 RPM, I thought I felt/heard something hit the outboard. Within a couple seconds I get an engine alarm and it sounds like my prop came out of water. I trim down with no change in noise. I put it in neutral and shut down motor and tilt it up. I smell gear oil and see the hole on the side of the lower unit housing.

The SS prop had a few dents on the leading edge on 3 of the 4 blades. Not sure what I hit in 80 foot of water, but it ruined my fishing day...

Based on the location of the crack/hole, any ideas on what broke when the prop made contact with the object in the water?

dh
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by darleyhavidson; 08-14-2019 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by darleyhavidson View Post
    Based on the location of the crack, any ideas on what broke when the prop made contact with the object in the water?
    d1
    Probably everything in the case sans the driveshaft has some damage. When shafts and gears come apart at close proximity and 5500 RPMS, not much survives.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    Probably everything in the case sans the driveshaft has some damage. When shafts and gears come apart at close proximity and 5500 RPMS, not much survives.
    No doubt. It swelled the housing on the port side as well and has an 1" long crack in that spot. I will need to take to mechanic based on how the insurance claim process works. I am out of commission for at least the next couple of weeks.

On a related note, what keeps the powerhead safe from damage when something like this happens?

d1

No doubt. It swelled the housing on the port side as well and has an 1" long crack in that spot. I will need to take to mechanic based on how the insurance claim process works. I am out of commission for at least the next couple of weeks.

On a related note, what keeps the powerhead safe from damage when something like this happens?

d1
    Basically nothing. Check the splines where the drive shaft enters the crankshaft and see if those splines are twisted.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

5. Member
    pinion gear failed, report back with INS findings
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Definitely looks like pinion or driveshaft AT pinion failed.

Engine Guardian is designed to help protect the engine when there is a sudden loss in "load".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    The gears actually left the gear case when mine decided to let go. Unfortunately I was almost 100 miles up lake, so my tow wasn't exactly cheap. LOL. Time to start shopping for a new lower. Don't cheap out and get an SEI lower. Find a mercury one.
    2007 Basscat Pantera II. 200hp Yamaha Hpdi.

Quote Originally Posted by PowellSixO View Post
    The gears actually left the gear case when mine decided to let go. Unfortunately I was almost 100 miles up lake, so my tow wasn't exactly cheap. LOL. Time to start shopping for a new lower. Don't cheap out and get an SEI lower. Find a mercury one.
    You got me beat. I was only 15 miles from the boat landing. As far as the lower unit goes, it may be a battle with the insurance company to get a OEM lower unit vs. an aftermarket one. We shall see...

9. Member
    Not much room in there. If a gear splits, a bearing comes apart, something will end up getting pushed out the side of the gear case quite often, particularly when running at WOT. A sharp impact that stops the prop means something has got to give. Usually that something is inside the gear case.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

10. Banned
    You got me beat. I was only 15 miles from the boat landing. As far as the lower unit goes, it may be a battle with the insurance company to get a OEM lower unit vs. an aftermarket one. We shall see...
    if you have a good insurance company, and adjuster, you shouldn't have any issues.

^^ I got a Mercury one from insurance after my boat was rear ended

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

12. Member
    I locked a lower up at 90 + mph on a 20xd w/ 300. That was a very interesting ride. !! To say the least.
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    pinion gear failed, report back with INS findings
    Well, after a month of "discussions", Progressive would not cover my collision claim. The adjuster indicated my prop shaft "should" have been bent more if it was a collision incident. Even though the skeg is bent and prop was damaged, they still found it was a mechanical failure of pinion gear, which is not covered. Additionally, the marine mechanic wrote a letter indicating the damage was consistent with a collision, but they did not take that into consideration.
    Worldwide Marine is my underwriter and Bob tried to get it covered, but to no avail.
    So, I will have to eat the repair bill. Please use my experience as needed when shopping for insurance. You may be surprised at what is not covered, especially when it is based on the subjectivity of an adjuster.
    I will be shopping for new insurance in the interim.

dh
    Last edited by darleyhavidson; 08-14-2019 at 11:54 AM.

Get w Bob. I have mechanical failure as part of my policy. Its only a few extra more

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

Quote Originally Posted by Tim W View Post
    Get w Bob. I have mechanical failure as part of my policy. Its only a few extra more
    Thanks. I did talk to Bob, he said my boat is too old and would not be covered for mechanical failure. I believe he said 10 years and newer qualify for that type of policy inclusion. Bob is shopping for new insurance on my behalf.

16. Member
    Progressive. Imagine that. I have not one good thing to say about them !!!
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

17. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    That's sad. You need to discuss this with you're states insurance governing body. Most adjusters have no where near the experience that a boat mechanic will have. You have nothing to lose at this point.

18. Member
    Everything you need to know about how horrible Progressive is can be found here -- https://mattfisher.tumblr.com/post/2...-to-defend-her

19. Member
    Normally this kind of damage is due to a mechanical failure and not a collision. Got pictures of the prop and skeg damage?

Stand your ground, They can not refuse to use OE parts, They are committed to make you whole in insurance terms, if it is covered, lack of maintenance or a parts failure is not usually covered. My company does cover most mechanical failure but I do have to log all repairs and parts purchased. I have dealt with them in auto repair business many times and they may try using aftermarket and used in many cases. At least that is how it works I Ca. If they try to insist then you insist on a 7 year warranty in writing and it must provide the same performance as OE. In the end they will relent
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast