Yamaha 250 SHO Powerhead replacement

Has anyone had a 250 powerhead replaced with good luck after several hours of running?
    thanks,

My 2011 SHO had powerhead replaced at 200 hours (crank shaft oil seal recall). It. Now has nearly 600 hours and runs great
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

3. Member
    I had my 2014 powerhead replaced this spring, I have put about 30 hours on it without issue.

4. Member
    2016 250 SHO blew at 130hrs new powerhead in December.
    Should be around 40-60 hours by now.

5. Member
    My 2010 250 SHO had the factory replacement powerhead done around 200 hours. It has 284 now and has been perfect! I do run ring free plus 1oz to every 10 gallons every fill up along with letting the engine warm up and cool down.

6. Member
    Thanks, Ive been looking at skeeters with 250 SHO's on them and am finding out they have some issues. Just wandering if the replacements are holding up and if the problems are being corrected with the new ones.

7. Member
    Are the 4.2 SHO powerheads disposable? Yamaha had to replace mine 3 hours after my Yamaha dealer serviced it at 300 hours.

Mine was an oil maker until about 175hours.

Does anyone know why these blocks are blowing?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff7y28 View Post
    Are the 4.2 SHO powerheads disposable? Yamaha had to replace mine 3 hours after my Yamaha dealer serviced it at 300 hours.

Mine was an oil maker until about 175hours.

Does anyone know why these blocks are blowing?
    Keep in mind it's all the 4.2 SHO's not just 250's. My brother has a 2011 200 SHO that without warning had water in the block at around 130 hours but out of warranty. After some discussions with the dealer and Yamaha they agreed to replace the power head at their cost. I have a 2018 200 SHO and it has 3 times smoked real bad at startup after fishing for a while. I love the engine but I believe there is still some kind of problem and Yamaha is just hoping you won't fight it when it's out of warranty. Luckily I have 5 1/2 years of warranty left. Of course I have no proof of this and it could just be a 4 stroke outboard problem in general, just my opinion.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by woppercatcher View Post
    Keep in mind it's all the 4.2 SHO's not just 250's. My brother has a 2011 200 SHO that without warning had water in the block at around 130 hours but out of warranty. After some discussions with the dealer and Yamaha they agreed to replace the power head at their cost. I have a 2018 200 SHO and it has 3 times smoked real bad at startup after fishing for a while. I love the engine but I believe there is still some kind of problem and Yamaha is just hoping you won't fight it when it's out of warranty. Luckily I have 5 1/2 years of warranty left. Of course I have no proof of this and it could just be a 4 stroke outboard problem in general, just my opinion.
    That is why I said 4.2 SHO's, and not a specific model. Mine, in fact, is a 225. But I can't get Yamaha to explain why it seems so many of the 4.2 SHO's blow powerheads. They won't even admit there is a problem. Course, when I was "making oil" like I had an oil well bolted to the transom, they declined to pay for all my "in between" oil changes that I did to get rid of the contaminated oil. Nice folks.........those Yamaha people are! I wish they had warned me of all the extra oil changes I would be performing when I purchased the motor! But, like I said........those Yamaha people are such nice folks!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by woppercatcher View Post
    Try tilting the engine up a little bit before you shut it off, that way the oil in the cylinders will drain back into the crankcase and not sit against the oil control ring on the piston.
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL / Yamaha VF150