Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Did anyone fish the BFL at St Clair 7-13

I have been up the 5 of the last 6 weeks and have been catching them just fine. What the heck happened this weekend? Myself and 39 people zeroed! I know its fishing and that happens but I am honestly trying to understand what happened to the bite. Trying to understand what I could have done differently to catch them.
    -2016 Phoenix 721 250 Pro XS
    -Old Rig-2006 Triton TR-196 200HP Optimax

Crazy how that can happen. Especially on St. Clair. Obviously something triggered the fish to stop biting. Wish I knew the million dollar answer to that question.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XChris1632X View Post
    I have been up the 5 of the last 6 weeks and have been catching them just fine. What the heck happened this weekend? Myself and 39 people zeroed! I know its fishing and that happens but I am honestly trying to understand what happened to the bite. Trying to understand what I could have done differently to catch them.
    Probably post spawn and the mayfly hatch, I'm guessing.
    2015 Skeeter ZX250 with 2015 SHO 250hp
    12" Helix MSI at console linked with
    9" Helix MDI at bow
    52" 36v Ultrex
    (sold and I miss it)

I fished. I didn’t have 5 but threw mine back at 2:00 cause it wasn’t gonna win
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

5. Member
    Yeah we were curious where it would end up. The conditions were horrible in the morning.

We've been doing well on the South shore and it was bad on Saturday. We left early afternoon but nothing impressive.

Back out in that general area on Sunday and had two mid 4's and a chunky 3 plus. We left at 12:30 and easily could have high teens and pushed 20 if we stuck it out . It settled down and that is when the bite picked up but we had to leave. Thought we hit the jackpot (SMB) but it was a drum that went 7.69 and as long as the kids leg. Biggest we've ever seen in 10 years.

Looking forward to getting back over there when its slick and dingin them.

More mayflies than I’ve seen in the last few years - and a week or two later than usual. That and the water temps have jumped a bunch in the last couple of weeks.

Lots of things different this year with the amount of water.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

7. Member
    Is the hatch over now? Heading up this Thurs.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeKz View Post
    Is the hatch over now? Heading up this Thurs.
    99%- Was out the last two weekends on a floppy head side and saw a few live ones on the surface. and millions of dead ones.

Those likely aren’t dead ones you are seeing they are the shells of the nymphs that the spinners (adult mayfly) emerged from. Fish tend to eat the spinners when they drop to lay eggs late at night. The shells have no food value which is why they are floating around.

The hatch SHOULD be close to over, but who knows this year. Lots of things are off.....
    Last edited by Hollada; 07-16-2019 at 10:19 PM.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

10. Member
    There were lots of fresh mayflies at the gas station in New Baltimore yesterday. Probably still a week to go.

11. Member
    Ok thanks.

12. bullyfish
    I have been coming up there for years. I was there for a weeks in April,May,and was there last week the fishing is as bad as l have ever seen it. I think the lake is in a big down turn it happens to all of them eventually

Marcel and others are averaging 60ish fish a day. It’s tough now but you can catch plenty
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

Shhhh

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

15. Banned
    I was there for 5 days the week if the 4th and it was awesome from beginning to end. Tons of 3-4 lbs smallies and largies all grouped up together in deep grass patches. Between 2 boats we caught over 800 for the week. Biggest was 5.29 smallie. I can't imagine that lake being on a down swing based on my trips up there which is a week every year the beginning of July. It is hands down the best lake I've ever been on and I've fished a lot of places. On top of that, in 5 days we only saw maybe 12-15 other bass boats. I hear about how much pressure it gets, it's nothing like our lakes down here in North Carolina. I am thankful that Michigan takes care of it's fisheries and for the fact that y'all let the grass grow up there. Down here if a blade of grass grows in our waters it immediately gets sprayed. It's amazing how healthy those grass fish are. I would trade the fishing up there for down here any day of the week.

Our inland lakes get sprayed for weeds whether they need it or not. I don't think any of the Great Lakes or connecting waters would even be considered.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

17. Member
    I fish them as a boater and fished the 13th......I have zero clue what happened. I practiced friday and went to 4 spots I have and within 5 casts I caught 2 fish so left each spot to the next.....I went to one spot and me and my buddies first cast we boated a 4 and 3-3/4. Left that spot immediately. Went there the following day and didnt catch a single fish at each of the 4 spots. I was in awe. Ran all the way to south shore in the 3-4' waves that picked up mid day and caught a handful of fish.....most were shorts but caught three keepers one just over 3lbs. Couldnt believe the day. The fish I had the day before if they stayed I would of had 22+lbs without a doubt. Its fishing though. Beat the crap out of my boat running to south shore and back for nothing. That wasnt fun. We will see if things change for the 3rd.
    2019 Falcon 215 Yamaha Sho 250, Lithiums, X2, Poles, Ultrex, Birds, Mega 360 & Livescope.

Previous-2017 Falcon 205 Evinrude G2 250HO, Lithiums, Poles, Ultrex, Birds and 360.

18. bullyfish
    I figured my post would bring the BS out but WOW 800 fish

19. Member
    It may not be reallllll far fetched if its two boats 4 per boat and every guy had just awesome days???? Only 100 per person for 5 days.
    2019 Falcon 215 Yamaha Sho 250, Lithiums, X2, Poles, Ultrex, Birds, Mega 360 & Livescope.

Previous-2017 Falcon 205 Evinrude G2 250HO, Lithiums, Poles, Ultrex, Birds and 360.

Don’t know which is more of a stretch the 800 fish or the south shore run in 4 foot waves

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast