'04 250 HPDI fuel issue

Ran boat at idle an motor shut off. Pumped primer bulb an boat would idle for a few seconds. Did this 2-3 times so I never got over idle an loaded it on the trailer. Any ideas where to start? Primer bubble looks to be in good shape. Boat is a 04 ranger 522. Tried both tanks an did same thing

2. Randy Walker
    Had something similar happen and ended up being one of my low pressure fuel pumps leaking. Bulb would not stay hard and motor would die the first 5-6 tries before I could keep it running. It's a quick and cheap thing to check.. then get into filters and such.

3. Member
    Thank you sir for the help. I did notice fuel running out of the cowling once I put the boat on the trailer. Motor was trimmed up on motor sticks an the fuel was dripping from the front of cowling landing n the transom area

4. Randy Walker
    Yep.. that's how I found the problem.. I'm sure it could be the same thing for you, but many fuel options in there that can leak Mine was the top one of the two and was leaking from the nozzle/hose at the 10 o clock position. It was running down the edge to the bottom of the pump so it took a few times cleaning gas, then pumping and looking.. have someone pump bulb while you watch.. should see fuel dripping out somewhere.. the pumps were cheap from Amazon.. I just got 2 new ones and called it a day... good luck sir.

5. Member
    Update... the clear tube with element filter inside was hanging on by a thread.literaly.... tightened it down primed bubble an watched it fill up. Pretty sure that was my problem. Thanks again onewalker. Great info on this site

6. Randy Walker
    Awesome... love it when the fix is simple and no $$ out of pocket!! that's a WIN.. ...

7. Member
    Good reminder to take an occasional look under the cowling to check hoses, filter connections. A couple are under high pressure

8. Member
    FYI, If the motor still has the original low pressure fuel pumps, I'd replace as a maintenance item (cheap and not to bad to change)
    2001 2200v Pathfinder, 150 HPDI,
    Helix 9si on the console and a 998c HD SI on my iPilot Riptide
    Diablo Amigo Kayak