Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tournament fishing in small boats?

I know a guy who has a 16ft jon boat with a 40 on it and is wanting to go tournament fishing. He is convinced that his boat is not adequate to compete in small club level tournaments. He worries he couldn't compete with guys in big bass boats and people would make fun of him because of his boat small and old. I know guys who have fished my clubs and been competitive in similar and lesser rigs but he is convinced you need a new shiny 20fter with a 250 to fish any tournaments. Lets hear some stories of guys fishing tournaments out of smaller boats to change his mind and prove to him it can be done.
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

2. Member
    Fished many of workplace tournaments in a 16 foot aluminum and took money more than not. Speed doesn’t catch fish. Knowledge and time on the water catches fish.
    Praying for a Cure

I fish out of an Xpress H51, larger than your friend but still way smaller than your typical tournament rig. Windy days are the only times I feel I am at a disadvantage.

4. Member
    As long as it has a functioning livewell, he should give it a shot. Skill, not the boat, catches fish.

5. Member
    First tourney I ever fished was in my 15' glass boat with an 85 Johnson. I won it too. It was on a lake that was tough but I did my prefishing and put together a plan that I executed in 3 different creeks and it came together. Pretty sweet feeling . My boat was definitely a step child compared to what several of the others were running.
    GETFISHED !!!

6. Banned
    Between my dad, brother, and me, we probably won a 100 tournaments out of a 1994 16’ hydrasport with a 90. My nephew has won several jackpot tournaments at our local lake in a 16’ John boat with a 40 hp. We put decks and livewell in it and it fishes almost as well as a big boat.

7. Member
    ive won and finished in the money a bunch of times with my jet boat and it tops out at 34 mph. fish closer to the ramps where everyone overlooks
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

8. Member
    Got beat a bunch of times by guys fishing 16' with a 25 hp. We were on a smaller lake so long runs weren't an issue. You got to a spot first but after that we were all fishing used water. A boat doesn't catch the fish and we know you won't at 70 mph. Tell him to hit the water, have a good time, fish hard and see what happens. Our small tx group of guys never said anything to anyone that was negative about any boat. We all know not everyone can afford a high dollar glass boat. One thing for sure is the fish can't tell the difference.

9. Member
    A guy in my club fished a toys for tots tournament last weekend. Him and another guy came in third. He has a 16 ft aluminum rig with a exposed plywood deck. He said it felt pretty good to whoop up on the other guys in the 20 foot rigs with 250s on the back. Another guy in my club fishes out of a 14 ft tracker jon boat. He won angler of the year out of it before. They can get in a lot of places our fiberglass boats can't.

I fish club tournaments out of my VT17 with a 60hp. In most minds I’m at a disadvantage but in my mind I am equal. I have won many tournaments in a small boat and enjoy it more. It keeps me from making quick changes of spots and instead I continue to fish just change to a different presentation. Tell him to do it and don’t look back. Don’t worry about what the others think just take their money once and they’ll shut up.
    Garmin Stiker 7sv and 7cv
    2017 Crestliner VT17 - Mercury 60 4S

11. Member
    A boat is simply a platform. As long as it floats and serves as a useful platform from which to fish it will work just fine. 50 years ago guys would love to have a rig that nice.

I fished a popular tourney here a few years back round 50 boats top 3 were tin cans biggest one was 18’ w a 115
    2023 ranger 198p

Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    As long as it has a functioning livewell, he should give it a shot. Skill, not the boat, catches fish.
    This. I have a 17'4" Ranger with a 125 Merc. It's the smallest rig in our club. My partner and I have been fishing this club for 4 years, year before last we cashed a first and second place check, last year two third place checks and ended up in fifth place in points, which the top five do not pay entry fees into the classic, and placed fourth in the classic and cashed a check for 200.00 bucks each, this year so far? don't ask, but that has nothing to do with the boat. We very seldom travel more than 3 or four miles from the ramp, I firmly believe that it's not about running twenty miles to fish but making the best of the areas I do fish.

14. Member
    He shouldn't join a club that he feels would look down on him for his boat, those guys sound like a bunch of *****s anyway, guy in our club just got 2nd today with his 14' jon, on the biggest lake chain on our schedule, maybe he's looking for excuses not to fish with the club???
    Cheese County Bass Club

15. Member
    Too many guys think they can buy their way to success with equipment. It ain’t the arrow, it’s the Indian.

Steve Kennedy made a lot of money fishing out of a Bass Tracker with a 40hp on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Umckibben View Post
    He shouldn't join a club that he feels would look down on him for his boat, those guys sound like a bunch of *****s anyway, guy in our club just got 2nd today with his 14' jon, on the biggest lake chain on our schedule, maybe he's looking for excuses not to fish with the club???
    He hasn't looked for a club yet, that is just a fear he has if he did fish one. Never been an issue in any club I have fished.
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

17. Member
    11 pounder what club are you in? I'm thinking of finding a smaller club to fish next year.

2018 Ranger z520L
    2020 250 Pro XS
    2B694324

18. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    The only factor I would consider is safety. My first bass boat was 15 ft with 70 HP. I fished several tournaments out of it on my local lake with no issues. When I got more into bass fishing and started exploring other lakes I soon realized a bigger boat was in order to safely navigate some of the waters in windy conditions. I currently have a 18'9" boat and it does just fine on the bodies of water I fish. I know if I were to go to lakes that had a reputation for large rough water I would be at a disadvantage if I chose to run a great distance in large rough water. I know my boats capabilities so I chose what bodies of water I put it on when its rough water. I say buy a boat based on the type water you will be fishing. If a 16 ft with 40 HP is capable of running where he is going to fish effectively then go for it.

My neighbor cashed a lot of checks,won AOY and the club classic in a 18 ft Xpress with 115 HP. Another member in the club regururaly cashed checks in a 17 footer with 90 HP. If he is worried he can not compete because of the size of his boat and the boat is actually adequate for the body of water then he needs to concentrate more on his mental game because he is behind before they even leave the docks.

I used a 14’ Landau John boat rigged with two seats and small livewell (all homemade). 28 lb minn Kota and 1956 Johnson Sea Horse 18. Used it for years. Then to a glass boat.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

I fished tournaments and did very well from a 1978 16 ft bass tracker/40hp.... Until I upgraded to a 1984 16.5 ProCraft. Small lakes in a 24 member club. I could get to areas that others couldn't. It had advantages.....

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast