Youghiogheny Dam 7-14-19

We got an early start today as we were the second boat in at the dam launch. Today I was with my daughter and her boy friend. Two of my buddies had reported a strong bite all week for bass. Today was no different. In fact I think this was the first time I saw a bass caught on the first cast. Mike had the first cast and was rewarded by a nice small mouth.

To my surprise the fishing pressure today was heavy for being on the water so early. In fact some of my favorite places had boats on them. Not a big deal when you know the lake so we went to one of my places I don't fish that much and it turned out great.

Today it was all about a 6 inch Senko black with blue speckles. Use a good quarter ounce weight and again fished between the bank and 10 foot of water. Not what you would think to do with very warm water. However if you work it very slow and fish slow you just might be surprised. When it's hot though fish the points in the main channel.

The boating traffic picked up early and fast. In fact I saw the first skiers just after 7AM. We got off at noon and the parking lot was probably 3/4ths full. The main channel is no fun with all the wave action and even the coves start to fill up with parked boats.

So what did we do. First I didn't fish that much because of a shoulder injury. However between my daughter and her boyfriend we boated 16 bass. Again most of them between 2 and 3 pounds. My ome buddy who is pretty true full had said he caught 20 in the middle of the week. Today I have no doubt he did.

I didn't see much action from other fishermen but again I don't watch them full time.

Summer time is one of my favorite times on this lake. Most people say they don't catch anything but I never have any problems but from watching I fish differently the 99% of the people who fish this lake.

The only tip I can give is slow down. If your moving down the bank like your in a race or from point to point then your going to fast.

2. Member
    Great post. The Yough used to be my early summer home lake, then I moved to the Mon.

Good tip on slowing up.

Many years ago, I almost witnessed a tragedy with a bass boat and a skier. A bass boat was hugging the shoreline and running south just as a ski boat made a hard left hand turn coming out of Jockey Hollow. Luckily the girl skiing dropped the rope. The bass boat ran over the ski rope which got caught in his prop. The bass boat narrowly missed hitting the ski boat as he screeched to a sudden stop.

I was nearby fishing Jockey Hollow and heard the screaming. Everyone was thankful that the girl immediately dropped her rope. It could of been real ugly if she didn't.

I was one of the guys who stopped fishing the Yough around the end of June. Once the water started dropping, I gave up on it. But I would return in early October and fish to iceup. Used to fish the big bend point by the dam with jigging spoons. Caught many a fine smallmouth and walleye on that point in the fall.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

3. Member
    These past two years the lake has been more than full all summer. It was high and murky with a fair amount of debris. You really have to watch the water when you moving. I didn't see anything big then again you never know.

I don't care much traveling the main channel when the fun people come. Too much wake, too many young kids tubing, sking and Jet skies. Dad's pulling young ones way to fast, making a turn without looking. When I see a new boat with mom and dad and three kids around 8 in tubes it's time to travel the main channel at 35mph. About the slowest I can go on plane.

I do fish 10 mile area for Muskie. Which reminds me I have to get my new sticker at the end of the year.

4. Member
    Nice fish, i'd really like to fish that place in the fall