RT 188 frustration

So I have a 15 rt188 that I purchased new. My frustration started after a year. I trailered 1 time with the " ranger cover" on. Web straps put rub marks in the paint, ranger customer service said I didn't cover the boat properly and won't fix it. Next I started noticing spots that the paint was flaking, again ranger can't help. Now I have a seat that the stitching is coming undone and there is a small hole in the seat and I now have a weld crack on the trailer were the boat buckles are attached by the rear of the trailer step.
    Any advice on how to handle this guys? Im not very confident that ranger will do anything to help on a 4 yr old rig.

2. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I doubt you’re going to get any help if you haven’t so far. Any trailer place can weld up and reinforce the area of the trailer that has cracked from the stern straps.

Im not familiar with your area but getting the seats restitched before they get bad is the way to go! I’d look up marine upholstery in your area and see what they can do.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

3. Member
    You have a 2015 and the 2020 boats are coming out.... it's 5 years old or close to that. The seats probably have a one year warranty. The trailer has a three year warranty. The cover has to be real tight and I have had no trouble with mine rubbing the paint. I have not trailered it real far though.

You need to get used to this type stuff on a five year old aluminum fishing boat. Every boat I ever owned always had little things here and there that needed fixing after they got three or four years old. It's just part of owning one. They are not going to fix something for free that far out of warranty and you are expecting a lot if you think they will.

I have been extremely pleased with now they have handled little things for me. They have been great. No problems at all, but it has just been a couple of minor things. Ranger has been easy to deal with and very easy about getting a warranty item.

You need to take the trailer to a welder. Probably cost you $50. Take the seat off and take it to a shop and have it fixed before it gets worse. Maybe another $50-75...I would do that tomorrow. I would just live with a rub on the paint. An aluminum fishing boat will get rubs, dings and scratches. Mine does......adds character. No offense, but your boat is way out of warranty and you have to fix stuff yourself.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFlyer View Post
    You have a 2015 and the 2020 boats are coming out.... it's 5 years old or close to that. The seats probably have a one year warranty. The trailer has a three year warranty. The cover has to be real tight and I have had no trouble with mine rubbing the paint. I have not trailered it real far though.

You need to get used to this type stuff on a five year old aluminum fishing boat. Every boat I ever owned always had little things here and there that needed fixing after they got three or four years old. It's just part of owning one. They are not going to fix something for free that far out of warranty and you are expecting a lot if you think they will.

I have been extremely pleased with now they have handled little things for me. They have been great. No problems at all, but it has just been a couple of minor things. Ranger has been easy to deal with and very easy about getting a warranty item.

You need to take the trailer to a welder. Probably cost you $50. Take the seat off and take it to a shop and have it fixed before it gets worse. Maybe another $50-75...I would do that tomorrow. I would just live with a rub on the paint. An aluminum fishing boat will get rubs, dings and scratches. Mine does......adds character. No offense, but your boat is way out of warranty and you have to fix stuff yourself.
    THIS! I have a a 2015 and not experienced any of your problems. Those are all minor problems that you can take care of. Enjoy taking the boat out and fishing from it. The RT excels at that

5. Member
    The Thriving Metropolis of Huntsville, Alabama
    Just curious... Are the seats in place while trailering?

I just had some warranty issues handled by Ranger and they were great to deal with. I was a little anxious after BPS bought them and I expected that customer service would have slipped with the new owners. I was wrong. The Ranger customer service was excellent. I have used them for probably 30 years and they were just as good and easy to deal with as ever.

I think you expecting them to handle issues under warranty and for them to pay for the repairs like the boat was still under warranty is expecting too much, especially with yours being close to 5 years old. They are very helpful with original owners, but there comes a time when the boat is yours and not theirs. You have to repair things yourself. I sort of can't believe you even called and asked them to pay to fix or replace a five year old boat seat with a stitch coming loose.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    I just had some warranty issues handled by Ranger and they were great to deal with. I was a little anxious after BPS bought them and I expected that customer service would have slipped with the new owners. I was wrong. The Ranger customer service was excellent. I have used them for probably 30 years and they were just as good and easy to deal with as ever.

I think you expecting them to handle issues under warranty and for them to pay for the repairs like the boat was still under warranty is expecting too much, especially with yours being close to 5 years old. They are very helpful with original owners, but there comes a time when the boat is yours and not theirs. You have to repair things yourself. I sort of can't believe you even called and asked them to pay to fix or replace a five year old boat seat with a stitch coming loose.
    First off I never said I asked them to replace a 5 yr old boat seat.
    My frustration started when ranger would not help when the paint began flaking after a year! That is disappointing and unacceptable..
    Now a weld crack on the trailer after 4 yrs and that's ok?
    I guess I expect to much for that not to happen

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    The weld issue is very difficult for a manufacturer to cover when the warranty period has expired. They have no control over how tight the buckles were closed, how rough of roads the boat has been trailered, etc. I drove I-81 from the Ontario border to VA yesterdaysnd I dread bringing my RT188 home at the end of the season. Parts of I-81 in NE PA are just brutal!
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

9. Banned
    I hate to hear your issues but the other guys that have responded are correct in that all of those issues are minor with a 5 year old boat.

10. Member
    I also have a 2015. I'm with the others. I've had several boats with Boat Buckle ties and was always careful to just snug them up. In 45 years of owning boats, I've always preferred Ranger because they manufacture all components with the most consistent quality.
    Last edited by GeauxTide; 07-16-2019 at 06:53 AM.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

11. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    I have a 2015 and no issues at all. But from descriptions it sounds pretty minor.

Glad i don't have any issues, will be putting mine up for sale here soon.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

12. Member
    See if you can have Ranger send you my new seat skins and have them installed locally. Triton once did that for me on an older boat

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by csurp View Post
    See if you can have Ranger send you my new seat skins and have them installed locally. Triton once did that for me on an older boat
    Good idea, thanks

14. Member
    My 15 cover has rubbed dull spots in mine too. I make long hauls frequently and it sucks but it is what it is, I don't expect Ranger to pay for it. My seats are also having the same issue in multiple spots. I'm sort of with you on the seats, as it makes me mad too. I keep them spotless and don't step on them hardly ever, especially with shoes, and I don't feel that should be happening already (started 2 years ago). That said, no way I would expect them to fix it five years later. My trailer has been rock solid, and overall I don't worry about it too much as it's pretty minor in the overall scheme of things. Besides, my boat has had a freaking PILE of fish in it, and that's all I really care about at the end of the day
    2015 Ranger rt188/115 Etec

15. Member
    Like mentioned above. Aluminum boats get dings and scratches. Enjoy it. I have a 2017 RT188.

A short story as an example:
    Fishing a point one day with a jagged rock outcrop about 25-30 ft. from shore. Junior decides he wants to check it out. He jumps out of the boat, swims to the outcrop and sits there enjoying the view.

So here's my problem... A 6 month old new boat with said dog on rocks - refuses to swim back to boat. Only thing to do is go get him. So I beach the boat on the jagged edges and attempt to fetch Junior. In the meantime the boat is bouncing on this outcrop due to all the boat traffic.

I get home later that day and inspect the damage. Deep scratches, part of the racing stripes peeled back, good sized dent, etc... start telling Junior it's his fault (with him looking up at me and saying " What? I didn't do 'nuthin!") and pretty much very upset. Wife comes out to see what all the commotion is about. Looks at me all ticked off, then the dog with his "puppy look", and finally at the damage to the boat.

She shrugs her shoulders and says "that's why we bought an aluminum boat" and proceeds to walk back into the house.

The boat is there for there for your enjoyment. Have fun - go fishing!

16. Member
    For you guys that fish Lake Hopatcong you know which one it is.
    It's the rocky outcrop off the point of Henderson Island. There's a drop off there to about 15 ft.
    Pretty good fishing spot when there's not a lot of traffic.
    Last edited by Jaydbee; 07-17-2019 at 03:23 AM.

17. Member
    And you know it all turns out for good.

Junior got very sick last year. He went over Rainbow Bridge this past March. I still get tears when I think about him.

Now every day when I get home from work and look at that damage I smile because it gives me a memory of him....
    Last edited by Jaydbee; 07-17-2019 at 03:30 AM.