Thread: Z17 thoughts

Z17 thoughts

I'm looking at this boat as an upgrade to what I have now (81 Glasstream 16ft)

Saw one yesterday and was pretty smitten with it.

For those who have one, what are your dislikes? How does it handle bigger water? What additions have you made?

2. Member
    The Z17 is a small boat... very small. If you mostly fish by yourself then you might like it. If you frequently fish with a partner then I think the 5k extra for a Z18 is worth it. The Z18 is 16 inches longer, 4 inches wider and has 60 more HP. Plus it has better storage, much nicer seats and will handle rough water much better.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

3. Member
    I had a Z6 which the Z17 replaced. It is a great boat when you are by yourself, but things get tight if you have someone with you.
    As far as rough water, it is a small boat and handles just as you would expect.....like a small boat.....nothing magical in the hull.

4. Member
    All depends on what you plan do it with it.

5. Member
    What dkdaws said is accurate - got a z6 also. I fish with a regular partner, and we're used to working on the space we have. Storage may eventually become an issue, and if you have long rods (8ft etc) not having the space to store them on the boat can get to be a problem.
    Nitro Z6 Optimax115 Elite HDI5 Bow 5x Pro Console

6. Member
    The current boat I have is extremely short on storage, One of the port or starboard storage lockers is more than I currently have. I usually fish alone, but plan on doing some tournaments in the future. I'd love a Z18 or even a Z19, but the budget doesn't allow for it currently.

7. Member
    I don't own a Z17, but looked at them hard and close. It was one of two models left on my list prior to my recent purchase. It sounds like a major upgrade in all areas including size and storage from what you currently have. If you really like it, have your mind set on purchasing new rather than used, and this is what you can afford, I say go for it.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyhick16 View Post
    The current boat I have is extremely short on storage, One of the port or starboard storage lockers is more than I currently have. I usually fish alone, but plan on doing some tournaments in the future. I'd love a Z18 or even a Z19, but the budget doesn't allow for it currently.
    If you can find a z18 leftover you can negotiate down to z17 price point. Two years ago I bought a z18 brand new leftover for $27,999

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyhick16 View Post
    Base price for a new Z17 is $25K. There are A LOT of nice used boats for less. I just traded in my TR186 that has an Ultrex, a year old trailer, and three older HDS unit with 215 hrs on the motor. Its solid and reliable and I’d have sold it for 10k less than a new Z17.

If you have to go new, I’d look at one of the 150 HP rated aluminum boats first. The Ranger looks really, really sweet IMO. I thing the Z17 is a good answer for those that have a very hard limit on storage length.

But, if you feel the Z17 will make you happy then go for it. You’re enjoyment is all that matters here.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

10. Member
    Nothing wrong with a “smaller” boat. Mine is an 86 17ft raycraft and holds everything me and a fishing buddy needs and it has not near the room for storage a new boat would. Would definitely look at all options available to you and sit and look around every brand there is. If you want, the Triton 179 TRX is an 18ft boAt that still performs good with a 115 if you need a little more room, but I believe the z17 will be just fine.

Nothing wrong with the Z17 at all. Only you know what works for you as well as your budget. What I can say is that you will not be disappointed in the quality of a Nitro boat, I absolutely love mine! Good luck with your search and decision brother.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

12. Member
    I have a 2016 Z6 Nitro that I bought earlier this year-it had 20 hours on it and I was able to talk to the original owner before he traded it in. The boat is 17.6 and has plenty of space for two people to fish. I have fished a bunch of boats and two people are plenty. Add that third person and everything becomes exponentially more difficult!!

13. Member
    I see that Nitro is not offering the Z17 for 2020. That's too bad. Of the "small entry level" boats that I looked at (Ranger, Triton, Nitro, could not find a Bass Cat Margay), the Nitro shined far above the others in storage, cockpit space, and especially deck space over the others. It seems far larger than it is, even compared to the Triton which is actually a foot longer. I thought the Nitro was easily the best of the three for fishing.

I'm guessing there isn't a large market for this size glass bass boat, as Triton already quit making the 179TRX in the 2019 model year. It will be interesting to see if Ranger continues with their Z175 or if White Water Marine totally gets out of the small glass bass boat market and leaves it to their aluminum lines.