Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    My Lab is high energy and over the top friendly and I agree on one point, birds are like crack to her. But I good hunting dog is controllable. Find the best hunting dogs and you’ll also find the most obidiant dogs.
    Labs, Pointers, Setters - YES
    Hounds - not so much.
    Labs and other as hunting dogs, the dog works for you in the field.
    Hounds - you work for the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    Do You mean collars like these depicted? I've noticed a lot of folks don't know how they actually operate ...

Attachment 369808
    yes those are them - and no people do not understand them. it is the people who use them wrong that have given them a bad rep.

Quote Originally Posted by imthemedic View Post
    I have a fully trained and certified European Doberman and he still wears a pronged pincher collar because you just never know. I mostly worry about other animals making a huge mistake. Don’t let it bother you, keep doing what your doing.
    exactly - and at shows, people walk around just not paying attention to their animals. They are talking to someone while their dog is doing whatever at the end of its retractable or other leash. Having rescue dogs and dogs we don't always know entirely, an abundance of caution is necessary. We get dog reactive dogs sometimes - we get dogs who we do not know each and everyone of their quirks - sometimes we get dogs who see small and furry and think CRITTER! before their brain processes it is actually another dog.
    People whine about us using the collars (there are even shows who forbid them) when we are actually using them as much for their own and their dogs safety as ours.

4. Banned
    I think its emotionally cruel and unusual punishment to take an animal out of its environment and parade him around like a poodle just for self gratification.

Quote Originally Posted by cowtrimmer View Post
    I think its emotionally cruel and unusual punishment to take an animal out of its environment and parade him around like a poodle just for self gratification.

6. Banned
    Thanks, its the best I could come up with on such short notice.

7. Member
    she probably forgot she wasn't on facebook.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

8. Novice Boaters Forum Moderator jclark408's Avatar
    people are far too opinionated and lacking common sense
    ------Co-founder of Post Derailment, LLC---------

I have a high-energy male lab who's only 3. 97 pounds and strong as a buffalo bull. The prong collar was the only way I could get him controlled for a normal walk. I let him pull it on himself a few times, and that's all it took. Now when it's on him, I have to say very little. When I stop, he stops. He doesn't heel real well still, but once he feels a slight bit of pressure, he chills out.

I e-collar trained him for the field. I've only had to hit him twice, both times on low settings. Now he listens and behaves reasonably well. When I turn it on and it beeps at him, he gets right in a hurry.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by delee36 View Post

One of the other vendors at the show kept giving me dirty looks all day...which I ignored, until she finally came stomping over (looking very much like the adult female version of the campbell's soup kid in a bad mood) and started reading me the riot act about the prong collar. It is abusive. She should report us. She cannot believe a rescue would use on them on a dog! blah blah blah. I tried to explain the her the reasons we so it - everythig was an "excuse" by someone who "does know how to properly train or handle a dog".
    I let her go on a minute or two and then asked:
    How long have you worked in rescue?
    I have been doing this 10 years so I know how --
    I have been handling these dogs for 25 years. Have you ever handled a hunting Coonhound?
    Well no but...
    Have you ever tested a dog for or trained a dog for tracking work?
    Well no but...
    Well this dog ain't some off the couch - run of the mill shelter dog. She is a full on hunting dog, a working dog, and she takes a bit more to handle that some fat labrador (her dog). So maybe you should just mind your own business.

Want guess who got a reprimand from the people running the show?

I would be willing to bet she's stolen more dogs than rescued. That's what busy body female rescuers do. They grab dogs that are just out walking the neighborhood or dug out of their pen. They justify their behavior by being judge and jury...….with the "owner's not taking good enough care and doesn't deserve to own this dog" mentality.
    I've seen it in my area multiple times,.....by three different females.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12