Vf250la won’t crank

Have the motor on a stand and trying to get it fired. Have battery and key switch but no shift controls. Shifter on motor is in neutral and neutral safety switch checks out. Key on, fuel pumps cycle, etv (tps) cycles, but no crank. Buzzer doesn’t make a sound either, is it supposed to on this model?

Getting 12v TO the starter relay but have no starter relay input voltage with key in the crank position. Been staring at schematics, checking the harness for continuity, and going cross-eyed along the way. Just seems like I have an open or ground issue somewhere. I’m pretty mechanical and can troubleshoot with the best but this is my first time working on one of these motors. Thoughts?
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO

2. Member
    The neutral safety switch is mounted in the control box. The neutral switch is mounted on the motor.

Power flows from the motor to the key switch. From the key switch through the neutral safety switch and then on to the starter motor relay. No neutral safety switch no crankee.

Disconnect the ten pin connector at the front of the motor. One the engine side ten pin connector, jumper the red wire terminal to the yellow wire terminal. This powers the ECU. Turns on the fuel pump. Momentarily jumper the red wire terminal to the brown wire terminal. This will cause the motor to crank. If there is fuel the motor should start. Now before doing this make sure that the fuel system is fully primed.

To stop the motor jumper the black wire terminal to the white wire terminal.

3. Member
    You’re referring to the round 6pin connector in the main harness? I made that connection to the controls in the boat and it made no difference. I’ll try jumpering the 10pin. Thanks.
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO

4. Member
    I am referring to the ten pin connector in the front of the motor. That connects to the ten pin harness that runs to the dash. Which then may Y off into two connectors.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    I am referring to the ten pin connector in the front of the motor. That connects to the ten pin harness that runs to the dash. Which then may Y off into two connectors.
    Yes, we're on the same page. There is another round, 6pin connector that plugs into the shift quadrant. I'll keep at it. Thanks for the replies.
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO

6. Member
    The six pin connector is up in the boat. I am talking about the ten pin connector that is on the motor. Part of the main engine harness.

7. Member
    Yes, I have the service manual and am familiar with that diagram.
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO

8. Member
    I am perplexed because you keep bringing up the six pin connector. With no control box and no neutral safety switch.

Just my confusion. That's all.

9. Member
    The neutral safety switch (control box) is what’s missing. Jumping the 10pin will get me around that.
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO