Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..

Opinions on 2019 Suzuki 175hp ?

My old friend (got married) just bought a new Alumacraft 18 or 19 ft. Fishing Walleye Boat with 175 Suzuki Motor... He tends not to ask anyone before he gets educated by Salesman.I have no knowledge of new Motors but I think I would have bought a Major brand (Mercury, Evinrude or even Yamaha) for repairs, parts or resale. Is there any educated tips(prop or motor options or tweks ) he should get before delivery ? What do you think of the New 2019 Suzuki 175hp ? I haven't seen him in 5years so I can't say anything negative because he has a contract.. I believe its the first year of the 175 and that scares me a bit too..

2. Member
    Well I personally think he made a wise move. I have run a 150SS since 2015 and now I have upgraded to a 200SS. Here are the differences that made me go with Suzuki. First is the timing is chain driven, it holds 8.5 quarts of oil, it has a water cooled voltage regulator, it has a built in battery isolator that can charge two batteries, 6 year warranty and above all was I have a great dealer and the price! Props can be a little hard to figure out because of the 2.5 to 1 reduction. My Suzuki has fantastic fuel economy and i will have Suzuki from now on.
    1998 Gambler Outlaw with a 2019 Suzuki 200SS, Ultrex Trolling motor with 360 imaging, two Helix 10's at the bow and two Helix 10's at the helm, and a custom Amera Trail trailer with Gator-Bak bunks on it!

3. Member
    I was on the fence before I bought my boat as well. I ended up with a Suzuki 200A which is the same basic motor as the 175 and I love it. I do think I need to change out the prop and have been looking at the new watergrip Suzuki props but the 2019 should come with that series already installed. My boat is a Polar Kraft TX 195 and it works well with the Big Suzuki on the back.

4. Banned
    very wise move. Suzuki is as good as ANY out there............just not as popular. With a little time on water, he WILL NOT regret his decision.

5. Member
    175DF been around a long time, I have a 2006 four stroke 175.

One thing nicer about the Suzuki is you can talk to your fishing partner when you are cruising down the lake. You can actually hear each other.
    Last edited by billnorman1; 07-16-2019 at 02:34 PM.

6. Member
    I have a 2017 175 Suzuki on a Blue Wave 2000 Pure Bay. Everything said above is the truth. My experience has been nothing but positive. Great engine. I would not hesitate to buy another Suzuki.

7. Member
    I have owned all of the major brands. Suzuki has been my favorite so far.

I just dropped a 250SS on my boat and it is really good. Your friend will love it once he gets it on the water. I jumped on board when my dealer took on the brand and explained all of facts that have been stated above. I also know of one commercial fleet that switched everything over to Suzuki a couple of years ago and have seen their maintenance cost get cut in less than half with very little down time. One of the biggest selling points for me is Suzuki uses displacement to make power which in my old school book take on things is the way to do it.