Thread: Weird HOA rules

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Weird HOA rules

First and foremost I do not hate HOAs. Some are great things and some take it too far. Long story short we thought we were done living in the DFW area but with the recent incredible opportunity that came my wife's way job wise it has come time that we need to return to that area for a few years until we both retire. No big deal as I will keep my weekend place at Fork and still spend a ton of time out there. She just needs to be closer to the airport as well as some of her offices in this area.
    That being said we started looking at homes about a week ago. Its a pretty competitive market and we know what we want etc.

Found a great home that we loved in a great area. All was well until the realtor started going over the HOA rules. Seems you cannot park in your own driveway after dark. All vehicles must be in the garage. In addition no parking is allowed on the curb at all unless prior approval from HOA and then it cannot exceed 48hrs total and both spaces in garage have to be occupied. You also cannot have any company vehicles or vehicles with any decals, logos etc that are not stock on said vehicle. Your garage cannot be used for anything other than parking. Not storage, not tinkering, not working etc. Your garage door has to remain closed unless you are entering or leaving. No boats of any kind can be stored in garage. Even though mine would have easily fit I could not have it on the premises.

Needless to say we realized that area was not for us. The realtor was also a resident of same community and on the HOA. When I asked him what the logic was for that he had no answer other than its always been like that. Very nice guy and we just told him we needed to pass on that house as we were not the right fit. As luck would have it we stumbled upon a house we really like with an HOA that is not so hardcore in regards to my garage.....

2. Member
    Take your time.
    GETFISHED !!!

Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    Take your time.

We already found what we wanted. Better house, more realistic HOA rules and we are excited to get settled in here in a month or so.

Crazy HOA rules right there...
    2001 Ranger 518DVX Comanche / Mercury 200 Opti (OT306368)

I'm amazed that anyone would buy a house in an HOA neighborhood with rules that absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by CigarBasser View Post
    Crazy HOA rules right there...
    I sincerely was interested to hear why no parking in your own driveway. Just seemed odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Al from Canada View Post
    I'm amazed that anyone would buy a house in an HOA neighborhood with rules that absurd.
    2200 houses in that area already with 3300 more coming...its a huge community.

I built a deck on a house a while back and when I applied to the HOA I read over their rules. You have to get permission on planters/flowers for your porch, birdhouses and dog houses in the back yard.

9. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Those are more strict than our Florida HOAs....and I thought these guys were power hungry!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

10. Member
    I could not live there

11. Member
    Holy Crap Batman! That is not an HOA that is a prison camp! I could just imagine if you cut your grass on Tuesdays an it's supposed to be cut on Friday so it looks good for the weekend, or can't you keep a lawnmower in your garage? Sure am glad I am not in that hood, makes just me want to go out and knock the wheels off my boat trailer and put it up on blocks just because I can, I'd borrow the jack from one neighbor and the blocks from my other!
    Jerry "Rat-L-Trap" Lehman
    Never Enough "Traps"
    Triton TR-21 Merc Optimax 225
    Living Life Large at Toledo Bend

12. Banned
    Makes me glad i live where i do. I don't think an hoa what like me shooting in the yard.

Quote Originally Posted by 206champion View Post
    I could not live there
    We chose not to. I will say all the residents we spoke too seemed to love it there but it was not for us. If they are happy with it then I'm glad for them and rather than move in and make waves we looked elsewhere.

14. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubee View Post
    Makes me glad i live where i do. I don't think an hoa what like me shooting in the yard.
    Same here!!

Good Lord, they would stroke out over a wrapped bass boat in the drive.

16. Member
    I feel your pain Mark.

No boats in my HOA although one guy had one that would fit with garage door closed and no one complained.

Mine will not fit and not allowed in back yard even behind a privacy fence.

Other than that most of our rules are acceptable.

17. Member
    Well at least the Realtor went over the rules so you could make an informed decision. There must be some people that like that lifestyle but it is good theydisclose it up front so the buyer can make the decision.

18. Member
    I couldn’t live there. Crazy is right.
    Praying for a Cure

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    We chose not to. I will say all the residents we spoke too seemed to love it there but it was not for us. If they are happy with it then I'm glad for them and rather than move in and make waves we looked elsewhere.
    Best to find out now than later,I love my freedom, I couldn't live with restrictions of any sorts.

First off, nothing wrong with the rules. Limits the possible buyers, but that’s ok

good for you for realizing it’s a BS Hoa and not for you.

The not boats i. The garage are completely unenforceable
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast