Caracal - middle rod locker question

Hey Caracal owners. I was thinking of pulling out the rod tubes and holders from the middle rod locker because it's difficult to grab a few rods from the bottom when its full. Want to put carpet on the bottom and sides. Did anyone do this and if so, where did they get marine grade carpet from and any special marine grade carpet adhesive did they use? Like to see pics if anyone had some.. TIA

Brian
    Brian LeBrun
    2015 BassCat Caracal / 225 Mercury
    Helix10di , Solix12 mega,Onix10ci nt, Ultrex 112/IPilot, 360

2. Member
    I’m going to pull mine out but I use Rod Gloves a lot easier.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

3. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I was all set to carpet the rod locker. I bought my carpet from BassCat. After thinking about it for a while, I decided it wasn't worth the effort, to me at least. I never did get any adhesive. I was planning on using some Velcro so I could remove it if I wanted to.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

4. Scraps
    Not a Caracal owner, but Phoenix had the antlers with rod tubes in the port side locker. I thought it would help me stay organized. It helped me stay frustrated. I also use rod sleeves and reel covers on everything. So I removed the rack and have been happy I did. With the covers and sleeves the outfits don't get nicked up or tangled up. Very easy loading and unloading.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

5. Member
    Don't have a Caracal, but removed the rod tubes from my 2018 Eyra and it's WAAYYYYYYYY better without them !!!!!! If you want to carpet your box....call Alan (in parts) at BassCat. He can send you the good stuff from the factory.
    2020 BassCat Eyra w/Merc v8 Pro XS (2b685615)
    2008 Triton TR196 w/Merc200 (1B505505)
    2024 Havoc Alum Duck boat w/ Mod Mercury 3-cyl 2-stroke
    0T899507 w/1B728726 powerhead (sleeved/ported/welded chambers, mod carbs/tuner &light flywheel)
    Previously owned:
    2018 Eyra w/Merc250 (2b525704)
    2015 PII w/Merc200 (2b115304)
    Brooks tunnel w/Merc 200 carb & CLE l/u motor (A913415)

Rod sleeves will make use of any rod box smoother and some in the staff here has used a sleeve since the mid 1980’s. They made their own vinyl sleeves in house. Some individuals prefer their reels not contact the other reels as some people spend up to $750 on one reel and $450 on one rod. A complete set of $1000 combos would be a significant investment.

Carpet is out dated. SeaDek is 1000 time better suited for bass boat application. More padding, does not hold water or moisture and wares better.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

Price complete replacement of that SeaDeck before you make such a broad statement. We expect replacement of SeaDeck, or other EVA foam flooring (AquaTrax), to run about $3000 to $3500 in a few years. The replacement cost, ability to get that patterned well, and the feasibility on older boats to be an Issue. In areas it could extend to almost a $5,000 aftermarket replacement.
    Last edited by Bass Cat Boats; 07-14-2019 at 05:17 PM.

9. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Finlander View Post
    Carpet is out dated. SeaDek is 1000 time better suited for bass boat application. More padding, does not hold water or moisture and wares better.
    Whether something is outdated is merely a matter of opinion. I think I would like to try out a boat with SeaDek instead of carpet, but not in rod boxes or in other compartments I would wager SeaDek would be much hotter fishing in the summer sun than carpet, so I can pros and cons to both ideas. (SeaDek vs. carpet)
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

10. Member
    I'd like to Sea Deck just the floor area of my old Cat. The deck carpet is still in good shape but floor area under the consoles is getting loose around the edges.

11. Bobby8
    Ithink I would shy away from the carpet. If the drain tube from the front cup holder ever separates or breaks thatcenter rod locker will catch water as mine did. I would not want to have to drythe carpet out.

12. Member
    thanks guys. Probably going to call BassCAt and get a piece of carpet from the factory. Peace!
    Brian LeBrun
    2015 BassCat Caracal / 225 Mercury
    Helix10di , Solix12 mega,Onix10ci nt, Ultrex 112/IPilot, 360

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby8 View Post
    Ithink I would shy away from the carpet. If the drain tube from the front cup holder ever separates or breaks thatcenter rod locker will catch water as mine did. I would not want to have to drythe carpet out.
    The water in the bilge can jettison to the bow as bcb calls it. Ive seen it on numerous caracals. I would be hesitant to carpet the bottom of that box due to this. You would never know if it got a smaller amount of moisture unless you pawed down past your reels and felt the carpet in there wet. I my self had alot water in there once and have seen it happen to others.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

I would never dream of carpeting that locker....

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

We have made major moves to reduce the jettisoning of water in the last 2 months. This was a major factor when we removed the foam block, which was glued and wedged into the sump. The blocks would get moisture laden and shift to the sump, thus we’re ineffective if they moved to the furthest rear area.

16. Member
    I know it would be some work but what about trying to use snaps or something that you may be able to remove the carpet if need be? Just a thought