Motor won't start

225 Pro Xs 1B389073

Blew a compressor a few months ago and finally got everything put back together. Picked the boat up after having an oil prime done and ran the boat. Everything ran fine went back to put it on the trailer and the boat wouldn't start. Now everytime I turn the key I get a continuous high pitched chirp. Any ideas?

https://vimeo.com/347950659

2. Member
    Does the motor crank (spin)?

3. Member
    No, it attempts to and then dies. Sounds very similar to a dead battery when you start a car, but battery is not the issue.

4. Member
    Lets try this another way.....Does the starter spin, turn, or cause the motor to rotate?

5. Member
    Check the MPR.

6. Member
    Swapped the MPR with a trim relay and still happening. Go to crank it, and starter sticks up, doesn't start, and then starts chirping like in the video.

7. Member
    What makes you think it is not a battery issue have you load tested the battery

8. Member
    Hooked jumper cables to the starting battery. I’m gonna have it load tested tomorrow.

9. Member
    What is the voltage at the starter?

10. Member
    Hey guys always start with the simple shit. Loose ground will ruin your day. I’m embarrassed now. Sometimes when it comes to troubleshooting we always jump straight to the difficult items instead of checking the most basic things.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Ground connection at the battery, I suspect. Reminds me of a one-liner I heard many time when I started in the trade: "Always start at the source".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

I Always start with the grounds as this is what most check last if at all. I think this is ingrained as most think the pos is what feed every thing
    Thank You Leon Pugh

13. Member
    Basskicker, I'm like you!!! I always assume the worst and it's usually the simple things that cause an issue. Case in point, running my boat the other day, went to trim up and motor would cut off. I'd crank up and try again. Same result. I thought trim switch on throttle or relay was going bad!!! I searched and did some trouble shooting, it was the ground on starting battery!!!! Nut wasn't tightened down. I felt like an idiot.
    2000 Ranger Bay 200c
    2000 Mercury 225 EFI

Something to think about: electrons flow from negative to positive and you can not get in if you can not get out (meaning the return circuits have equal importance, understanding this can really change ones perspective of diagnosing electrical problems
    Thank You Leon Pugh