2013 Mercury 115EFI Continuous Alarm

Rather than continuing a different problem from a previous thread, I thought it would be better to start a new one. I have a 2013 Mercury 115EFI Four Stroke that I知 getting a continuous alarm after about 10-20 seconds of running. I知 over an hour from the nearest dealer or mechanic, so I知 trying to see if this is something I can figure out first. It started doing it intermittently on the water and would usually reset after I shut the motor off. It would start at idle forward speed and would usually stop if I restarted the engine. A couple of times it stopped when I gave it more throttle, so I decided to change the impeller. I changed the impeller, spark plugs, engine oil, gear oil and fuel filters. After getting it all back together, I started it with the engine water muffs on in the driveway and the alarm goes off after 10-20 seconds again. It looks like good flow from the tell-tale and the oil level is 1/4 into the crosshatching. I wouldn稚 think that would set off the low oil alarm, but I had to order more oil, since I ran out. So since the alarm doesn稚 come on right away, is it overheating? Could it just be the thermostat? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Member
    ...I see where the thermostat is, but I can't locate where the poppet is. I don't see it on any of the parts diagrams either. Does my engine have a poppet or just a thermostat or does the thermostat act as one and the same?

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and provide the Required Info with your post. Thanks!

There are literally dozens of potential faults that will have the same "results" as your description. The BEST method is to get the engine on the Computer Diagnostic System, and have the Run History and Freeze Frame (Fault) History PRINTED.

Also, would be a great idea to add a Smartcraft Instrument. If you also put Vessel View Mobile in the system, you can select a preferred dealer that will receive the basic fault info (so it can be noted for repair or diagnostic purposes). Pretty cool feature!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Alarm conditions do not reset or fix themselves and the fact it continually repeated tells you same. While it may be a pain to haul your boat to the closest dealer to have codes read and printouts as Don recommended it will be the least expensive, certainly least aggravating, approach to ID what's going on.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Member
    Thanks to Don and staff at European Marine for the advise and helping me choose which Smartcraft system to get. I ended up purchasing the VesselView Mobile system from them and installed it. VVM showed I was getting fault codes 1111-23 and 1112-23 for the fuel float switch and fuel vent switch. I replaced the float switch and ran it in the driveway today with no alarms. I'll hopefully get it out on the water this coming week, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

2013 Lund 1775 Impact, 2013 Mercury 115EFI Four Stroke, 1B989023.

6. Member
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Member
    Just an update. Been out on the water twice with no alarms and no fault codes on VesselView Mobile. Looks like it was the float switch. I highly recommend VVM if you only have basic gauges on your console like I do.