PS30 transducer cable heating up

Was re running the transducer cable and noticed it was getting hot. Had not noticed it before but never really felt of it after it was connected up.
    Is it because the transducer is out of the water?
    It gets hot with or without the MFD turned on.
    I have the power cord connected to the battery. Instructions state to connect to a 12 Vdc supply. Makes on mention of needing a switch.

Advice and info needed
    Thanks

2. Member
    Well I unhooked the power cable and the transducer cable is still hot.
    Unpluged the transducer from the 1042 and it cooled off?

Must have crapped out. Plugged it back up and I get a blue screen with PS30 in the corner but with a No Transducer Detected message.

3. Member
    Sounds really bad. Is it under warranty? Do you have something else you can plug into the same port on the 1042? Just to make sure nothing was damaged there.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

4. Member
    Yes I hooked up the GT40 and it seemed fine.
    Sure hate to have to pull the transducer. Running the cable was a real treat. Wish I had of left it like I had it.Oh well

Got tired of messing with it in the heat and humidity. I’m going to run thru the complete setup again and see what happens before I pull it.
    Really weird that the cable gets so hot without the unit turned on and the PS30 power disconnected.
    Now it does not work other than what I stated in my last post. Strange

Thanks for the reply.

5. Member
    Hooking up the GT40 will not tell you if your ethernet port that the PS30 was using was damaged.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

6. Member
    Heck I meant to say the PS21 , not even sure where my head was. Guess I was thinking about it.
    I started to hook the Livescope up but was afraid that it might ruin it.

Not sure if either of these scenarios applies here, but here is some insight from the engineers.

If Ethernet is connected and the transducer power is wired backwards, ground to positive and positive to ground, then it will not work and the cable will heat up even when off. This basically shorts the battery through the Ethernet cable.

Also if you connect the positive power only on the Panoptix and don’t connect ground or the ground wire is broken, then the cable will heat up. In this case, the ground current is passing through the Ethernet cable which is not rated for that much.
    Garmin Pro Team

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    Not sure if either of these scenarios applies here, but here is some insight from the engineers.

If Ethernet is connected and the transducer power is wired backwards, ground to positive and positive to ground, then it will not work and the cable will heat up even when off. This basically shorts the battery through the Ethernet cable.

Also if you connect the positive power only on the Panoptix and don’t connect ground or the ground wire is broken, then the cable will heat up. In this case, the ground current is passing through the Ethernet cable which is not rated for that much.
    I meant to update my post but haven’t. I think that the ground wire was the problem. I unhooked everything and then hooked it back up. The ground wire was not making a good connection the best I could tell. It was loose in the crimp. I was not sure if that was the problem or not but evidently it was and I feel better now since you posted the above.Everything is working perfect.

Thanks for taking the time to check with the engineers and post the results Todd.