Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Champion 210 Elite Trim Problem: Hydraulic Jack plate vs Trim Tabs

I have had my 2008 Champion 210 Elite with a Mercury Optimax XP250 for about 3 months. It has a 10 inch manual Jackplate and a Bravo One 26 pitch prop. I have a major problem getting the boat on plane. Once on plane, the boat handles well and is fast at about 65-70 mph. My hole shot is terrible to non-existent....sometimes. I don't think my hole shot problem is the propeller, but could be wrong.

Based on internet researches, I understood that weight placement is key. I put all of my heavy items in the back. Turns out that is wrong for my boat. I have relocated all of the heavier items to the front but it still is not enough. If my passenger (250 lb) sits on the cooler steps or lies on the front deck, the boat has a pretty decent hole shot. Once on plane, the passenger sits in his seat. Not the best or safest solution but it works. The other alternative is to idle around which is not fun or ride with the bow up so high I can not see. Again, not an option.

I prefer not to put sand bags in the front. My question is what is the best way to correct this? As I understand, a hydraulic Jackplate is great for shallow water but trim tabs can be used as an alternative, The idea of trim tabs sticking out off the transom does not seem like the way to go. Thoughts/Suggestions?

2. Member
    You shouldn't need trim tabs or a hydro plate for basic boat operations. Also, I'm a little confused, is this an intermittent holeshot problem, or an every time deal?

A few more questions for you-

Does the bravo one have PVS plugs in it? small holes with plastic plugs around the barrel of the prop? What are the rpms doing at takeoff? the rpms will either be low (under 3k) indicating a lack of ventilation, or high, indicating a lack of bite.

Where is the prop to pad height set with your current jack plate?

once w get some more data, I'm sure we can narrow it down for you... But I would still say that when properly set up, most of the heavy gear should be in the back, and you should be a 70mph boat, loaded to fish with full livewells, plus a little in cool weather.

3. Banned
    Hole shot is almost all prop sounds like yours needs venting.

4. Member
    Sometimes if a prop needs venting, you will have a better holeshot by not tucking the motor all the way in. Hard to explain online, because it's a timing and feel thing, but if you start the holeshot with the motor trimmed level, and get the boat moving forward before you really hammer it, you can let the motor spin up a little RPMs, then tuck it in as it starts really get the bow up to break it over on plane.

5. Pat Goff
    Don’t put weight in the front.
    It’s all in your prop. Start yanking vent plugs until you blow out and put the last one back in
    That boat with that motor should never have holeshot problems. Let’s find out why.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

6. Member
    Hole shot could be a coil problem (it was with my Champ). Easy to check all your ignition coils by buying a spark plug tester then look on YouTube on how to check them. Very easy and it will rule out a coil issue. I had one coil bad and just had a trouble getting on plane. Once on plane it ran great but it just took a while. Once I changed out that bad coil all was great. Good luck.

7. Member
    26 Bravo is a lot of wheel to turn under water. As mentioned, start pulling plugs.

Is the prop a Bravo XS or std Bravo?
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO

8. Member
    Is your prop a 3 or 4 blade? I think I have the same setup as you on my 2007, 210. Ive had it about the same amout if time you have yours, about 4 months. Like others have said. You gotta play around with it and get used to the boat to see what works best for you. I'm still learning mine. Only difference between yours and mine I have a hydrolic Jackplate. So I can adjust and tinker on the fly. My Prop has all the plugs out. And its a 4 blade. I get great holeshot! But that was after learning the boat and also taking it to my mechanic who found out I wasn't getting optimal power when he put my motor on the Dyno. He adjusted my Hotfoot throttle and I had him do a complete tuneup change out plugs ect. I always recommend doing that on any usedboat you just have purchased so you are starting from scratch from a good foundation. Hope it helps. The guys here helped me tremendously, so you're doing the right thing asking questions here. Oh, I just saw my prop is a 24 pitch. I think you said you have a 26.
    2007 Champ 210
    Codename: APOLLONIA
    Dominant Color: Purple
    250 Merc Pro XS, 24 pitch Bravo 1, 4 blade prop. 10 inch Hydro Jackplate by "Bobs"
    MOTO: "The Next Cast is the BIG ONE"!

Quote Originally Posted by pmgoffjr View Post
    Don’t put weight in the front.
    It’s all in your prop. Start yanking vent plugs until you blow out and put the last one back in
    That boat with that motor should never have holeshot problems. Let’s find out why.

^This. Also, are you trimming all the way down before take off?

10. Banned
    Dump the Bravo and find a Tempest in a 25 pitch. Tuck it all the under and bump it up once and hammer down. Should jump right up... And your off... Over the winter send it to Mark Croxton and have him balance and blue print it... Dan

And if you insist on a 4 blade, check out Mark Croxton's Razor XL in a 24 pitch...
    Last edited by Dan21XRS; 07-21-2019 at 07:36 PM.

11. Member
    Not getting on plane happens a lot. Mostly when I have a full tank of gas.... until about half a tank of gas. As the tank gets lighter, the hole shot improves. The Bravo has six holes where the prop attaches near the skeg. Nothing is in them and they are all open. When the tank is full, RPMs are low when trying to take off, it just is plowing with the bow riding high. When there is a little over a half tank of gas, the bow comes down after 23 seconds and then does a high rev until the bow comes down on plane. Once on its pad, the prop gets a good bite. Once on plane, here is some porpoising until I get the trim adjusted and then it runs beautifully. If I am lucky enough to have a passenger, as stated they seat up front and it gets on pad just fine.

12. Member
    Think you are onto something with this thought. A couple times it has happened just like you described. I will work on this concept and see if I can get better. Thanks for your response. Still a new boat to me and bring to figure it out.

13. Member
    Yes, trim is all the way down at take off. Thanks for replying

14. Member
    Bravo is a 4 blade prop. Motor only has 55 hours on it. Don't think it is the motor but probably the prop/ or me. LOL

15. Member
    I think getting your prop to pad at 3.5 " is the start. You need to be turning 5700-5900 rpms WOT and trimmed. I agree with a few others here that you will ge better performance with a 3 blade Tempest 25 pitch or a Fury 3 blade 25 pitch. Dropping down an inch in pitch will improve your holeshot.
    GETFISHED !!!

16. Banned
    Too much prop pitch.

17. Member
    I have had the boat for about 6 months now. The boat has taught me a couple of things. It likes to start with the motor in the vertical position and after getting into gear and idling, I give it WOT, it then likes to have the trim all the way down until it gets on plane. Once on plane it likes to continue to be placed "trim down" until the porpoising stops which is all the way down. It acts like the "all the way down" does not happen with just the push of the trim button but rather as motor resistance changes. Maybe it needs a different propeller or a jack plate. With two people it takes 45 seconds or so to get on plane.

It’s not the jp. Follow pat’s advice before deciding if there’s too much pitch to the prop. What’s your top end gps speed and rpm as you don’t want to chase a setup problem when it could be a performance issue.
    Larry Eby, 2004 ChampioN 188 Elite/2003 200 Hp Vmax OX66
    "Romans 10:9"

19. Pat Goff
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Too much prop pitch.
    Dude....
    Your prop is 90% of your boats performance, if it's not right, nothing else will be right.
    The right prop is a 25 Tempest, until you get that straight you're thinking you're driving a broken boat.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pmgoffjr View Post
    Dude....
    Your prop is 90% of your boats performance, if it's not right, nothing else will be right.
    The right prop is a 25 Tempest, until you get that straight you're thinking you're driving a broken boat.

Are you scolding me, agreeing with me or hit the wrong quote button? He has a Bravo 1 26, I totally agree that he’s got too much prop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast