Flapping sound toward end of cast

I have a Tatula SV and just recently it would make a light "flapping" sound towards the end of the cast when I cast it hard. Doesn't seem to affect the cast at all. Any idea on whether or not I should just ignore it or get it fixed?

2. Banned
    The only time I hear a flapping sound is when I have a small backlash that leaves a loop in the line. When you cast out the loop is exposed and smacks again the reel.

3. Member
    Make sure your spool tension knob is not backed off too far. You should have just the slightest side to side movement of the spool in the frame.

They'll also make a sort of strange sound if the magnetic brakes are cranked way down, but I suspect you'd not be getting much distance and it'd be pretty obvious if that were the case.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    My guess is your line isn’t laying smooth. I’ll usually cast, then troll away from the lure with the reel free spooling to get the loops out of the line.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    I have had both of those happen. I suspect the line slapping though. Close to a birds nest but not quite.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PikeRoadBassn View Post
    Make sure your spool tension knob is not backed off too far. You should have just the slightest side to side movement of the spool in the frame.
    Finally got out again and that was it! Thanks. I knew it wasn't the line because I checked that carefully. Didn't think it was spool tension because I usually set it pretty tight but it was loose. Thanks everyone- I love this board.