Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is "blowout"?

I've heard it referenced in relation to very high speed rigs. I'm assuming the motor/prop comes out of water and then chine walks you or back end tries to pass front end. The video I've seen makes it look like a BAD day!

2. Member

Generally used to refer to cavitation of the prop to where it looses bite in the water allowing the prop to slip so bad that the motor rIses rpm and forward thrust is lost. It can be violent at high speed because it can drop the bow section of the hull into the water like hitting brakes and if not running on a streigh line it can cause the stearn of the boat to want to hook around and pass the bow.

Ted-LA hit the mark.

When the prop gets to high or in a turn the cupped edges may grab a little air forcing it down which is often the root cause of the disturbance for the average boater. Depending on how much air is grabbed may determine how quickly this affect can be remedied.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

The lower unit can cause this as well... Water hitting the nose of the case deflecting water around the prop, Causing an air bubble. The prop looses bite, bow drops... And can hook the boat.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

6. Member
    Wow, good read.
    It confirms my suspicions of being close to blowing out and wisely quit pushing the limits.

7. Member

8. Member
    It’s a real phenomenon and any bass boat with a pad can do it. Accidental lifting of the hydraulic jack plate by hitting the wrong blinker trim is a nice way to experience it.

When it happens at high speed above 75, it’s violent. The boat basically swaps ends in a wall of water and you get launched. It’s not a pleasant experience. Just ask my ribs lol.

So, considering your equipment is in top shape, what’s the number one factor to prevent it? Keeping your prop low enough? Reading stuff like this makes me want to go even slower.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Capw View Post
    So, considering your equipment is in top shape, what’s the number one factor to prevent it? Keeping your prop low enough? Reading stuff like this makes me want to go even slower.
    The best way to prevent it is to buy a slow boat. Seriously. I now own a deep v hull that doesn’t have a lifting pad. It maxes out at about 60. I point it to where I’m going, grab a sandwich, hammer it down all the way, and never let out of it regardless of what kind of water is in front of me. It’s actually a lot of fun.

If you want more performance, then accept the risk that you may end up having a boat hook or swap ends on you. Yes - even a Ranger will do that. Look at the Elite event on the St John river a few years ago when a few marshals got tossed. All it takes is the right combo of waves, speed, and prop height. Even for a professional.

And yes, burying the prop and not pushing the limits of performance will greatly reduce your risk. But what’s the fun in that :)

Quote Originally Posted by blakesfav View Post
    It’s a real phenomenon and any bass boat with a pad can do it. Accidental lifting of the hydraulic jack plate by hitting the wrong blinker trim is a nice way to experience it.

When it happens at high speed above 75, it’s violent. The boat basically swaps ends in a wall of water and you get launched. It’s not a pleasant experience. Just ask my ribs lol.
    What is actually happening in this case, The hull is no longer being forced or cutting the waves and is now at the mercy of the waves like a skipping stone. Trimming down is like applying the brakes but crap happens fast at that speed.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

12. Member
    Something you dont want to experience!!
    Dave Sheffield
    Proudly Representing:
    Bass Cat Boats
    Mercury Outboards
    MotorGuide Trolling Motors
    Ardent Outdoors
    Power Pole

Quote Originally Posted by Shef View Post
    Something you dont want to experience!!

14. Member
    Every blowout I have experienced has been in the bathroom.

15. Member
    Those can be dangerous as well!
    Quote Originally Posted by cmscoach View Post
    Every blowout I have experienced has been in the bathroom.

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

16. Member
    All very true. Blowout....Also the name for the area of a lake where a tributary suddenly opens up and forward momentum diminishes. Most generally will have a main channel and several smaller ditches throughout an open flat area. They tend to change with time and are usually laden with wood in most regions and vegetation in the fertile silted in areas.. I call it heaven..

17. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar

18. Member
    Thanks. There's a video on the "Tube" of it happening to a guy at >100. Destroyed his rig. I thought it looked like he nose hooked the way it ejected the riders but didn't realize cavitation could cause such an immediate loss of power.

only came close to this once in a buddies Allison. at about 80 him still new to it and learning to drive it we made a 90 degree turn at about 80mph. main reason was it just fell off the pad but was a damn violent turn. Never experienced anything like that before and don't want to again.

Been there done that. Was not cool. Fractured wrist. Re-hab for the shoulder. Going fast is fun, but, it can hurt!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast