Different 250SS models

Does anyone know the differences if the following 250 SS models?
    DF250SSTL2
    DF250SSTX2
    DF250SSTXSS2
    250SSTLSS2

A local dealer has these posted with prices but I have no idea what they are individually and can't get a call back.

I also posted this on the Suzuki board.

2. Member
    Not sure on those model numbers. But on a serious note did you see the post below with the troubled 250hp Suzuki? I am not knocking a Suzuki engine at all. All manufacturers have their duds. But after reading what the poor customer had to go through below, makes me question Suzuki's customer service. They handled that in a piss poor fashion. It took way too long to get it resolved and some of the emails sent by the Suzuki reps were ridiculous. Again, I'm not knocking their product, there are plenty of great rigs out there powered by a Suzuki, but when the time comes to get a problem addressed I'm not sure Suzuki will come through.
    Brad Krone

3. Member
    Yes I did. Followed it fairly close. IMHO - It was handled in a less than customer friendly manner. I actually had planned to have repowered by now but due to that post solely I have held off. My issues have been with Mercury but its an older Optimax and more of a 'gemlin' having moved into the engine. The reason I still have interest in the Suzuki is their 4 stroke was one of the first and the motor has always been touted as a really strong motor, over engineered (????). There are folks that prefer Chevrolets, Fords and Dodge for various reasons. We all hope that money for any large investment is well spent. That's what's truly annoying about the Suzuki issues of Kevin's. There is however one thing about his problems that is still somewhat overlooked. That engine was run by a pro for a year. That pro does not really have to maintain it like most of us have to. Sure its his livelihood but not his pocket book. He or she just runs the heck out of it and most likely with no regard for the following owner. That's what has me still interested. However that being said. if Suzuki would have come down from their ivory tower and addressed this in a better manner then this conversation probably would not be taking place and they would have my and probably other's money. Somebody needs to re-evaluate their PR person's capabilities. Mercury, overnight, basically went from 2 stroke to 4 stroke and left a lot of dealers hanging. I've spoken to several who are less than happy with them. So they all are lacking in customer service. Just build it, warranty the product and let the consumer deal with it in a lengthy less than friendly manner. Again IMHO.

4. Member
    Well said. I agree with what you said about Merc switching to 4 stroke ProXS quickly. The reason I bought my BasCat in 2018 was due to that reason. I bought one of the last Pantera 2's with the 2 stroke ProXS. I want another Bass Cat with a Mercury engine in the future. I will give it a couple years to make sure all the bugs are worked out. We all saw the powerhead issues Yamaha had when the SHO motors first came out. But Yamaha handled that issue very well. Good luck with the search.
    Last edited by BassCatBrad; 07-13-2019 at 11:54 AM.
    Brad Krone

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger492vs1 View Post
    Does anyone know the differences if the following 250 SS models?
    DF250SSTL2
    DF250SSTX2
    DF250SSTXSS2
    250SSTLSS2

A local dealer has these posted with prices but I have no idea what they are individually and can't get a call back.

I also posted this on the Suzuki board.
    My guess are 2 different shaft lengths, some are 30", and 2 are counter rotation for twin setups.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger492vs1 View Post
    Yes I did. Followed it fairly close. IMHO - It was handled in a less than customer friendly manner. I actually had planned to have repowered by now but due to that post solely I have held off. My issues have been with Mercury but its an older Optimax and more of a 'gemlin' having moved into the engine. The reason I still have interest in the Suzuki is their 4 stroke was one of the first and the motor has always been touted as a really strong motor, over engineered (????). There are folks that prefer Chevrolets, Fords and Dodge for various reasons. We all hope that money for any large investment is well spent. That's what's truly annoying about the Suzuki issues of Kevin's. There is however one thing about his problems that is still somewhat overlooked. That engine was run by a pro for a year. That pro does not really have to maintain it like most of us have to. Sure its his livelihood but not his pocket book. He or she just runs the heck out of it and most likely with no regard for the following owner. That's what has me still interested. However that being said. if Suzuki would have come down from their ivory tower and addressed this in a better manner then this conversation probably would not be taking place and they would have my and probably other's money. Somebody needs to re-evaluate their PR person's capabilities. Mercury, overnight, basically went from 2 stroke to 4 stroke and left a lot of dealers hanging. I've spoken to several who are less than happy with them. So they all are lacking in customer service. Just build it, warranty the product and let the consumer deal with it in a lengthy less than friendly manner. Again IMHO.
    What you are considering is a Yugo!!!!!!!
    Do you realize how hard it would be to sell a bassboat with that motor on it. Especially a Ranger
    NO service, few dealer and they are slug
    Thank You Leon Pugh

7. Member
    Well Leon, I appreciate your comments. But as a matter of fact there are three dealers in this city alone that are Suzuki dealers. In the long run it may be a Yugo but what I'm hoping is its not is another Mercury Optimax that averages between $1200 and $1600 per year to keep running. This is a 99 Optimax and has less than 300 hrs. on it. And its still not running well at all. I bought it used from the second owner. The first owner was a Ranger/Mercury dealer who blew it up and rebuilt it. Its come to light it wasn't with all Mercury parts. So that says something abut the dealership's character. Now I have no idea what's happening in your world but it is your world and I appreciate your comments.....although somewhat narrow minded. I don't think Bass Cat would be putting them on their boats if the motors did not have some credibility. Imagine buying one of the premier designed boats of today, BCB, and hindering its value with a Suzuki. That's not the BCB I hear about. I tend to find a bit of fault in your evaluation. Now it hasn't been bought yet but I'll keep you posted on what happens. If it turns into a Yugo, then I'll be the first to say you were right and I was wrong.

You might have trouble propping this rig as they have odd gear ratio's and need lots of pitch...

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

9. Member
    Thanks 21XDC. I've been looking at that on the BBC Suzuki forum page. Really a good source of info about anything to do with a boat (bass or sometimes others),electronics and motors etc. It looks like most Suzuki byers are at least starting with manufacture recommendations thru the break in period.

10. Member
    Different models are shaft length and counter rotation for dual outboards. Yes Kevin’s situation was a complete and utter shit show. Though I’d highly doubt that is the norm. If you have 3 Suzuki dealerships nearby I wouldn’t hesitate a bit. Good luck

11. Member
    Thank you bassct tyler and others.....you too yugo

12. Member
    The Suzuki 150 through 300 AP series can run either forward or reverse props as selected with an optional connector.