2016 Mercury Verado 250HP

Hi guys,

I am thinking about making an offer on a 2016 Ranger 521c that is powered by a 2016 Mercury Verado 250HP. I have no experience with 4 stroke outboards in general and just have some general questions about this particular motor:

1. Is this specific motor considered to be reliable, does it have known issues etc?

2. How will this motor effect the performance of the boat, compared to say a comparable Pro XS?

3. Which Motor cost more or holds more value, 2106 Mercury Verado vs Proxs? (New or in similar condition)

4. General Pro's/Con's of the Verado?

Thanks guys.

There are no cons. Longevity excellent. Fuel economy no difference. Value likely the same. Not sure on performance.

From every thing I have heard, they are considered to be very reliable. Being a supercharged engine, if you get your foot deep in it, it is going to consume some fuel. As I recall, it also needs higher octane fuel to perform its best. Like modern automotive engines, it can adjust things like boost and timing I believe, along with other parameters I am sure, to run on lower octane fuel but you won’t get peek performance. I think they are heavier than the ProXS but not positive. If that is the case, that might negatively affect performance. I’d guess they are more expensive to repair if you had a major failure due to being boosted but that’s its a guess.

While I wouldn’t seek out a boat with that motor I also don’t think it would cause me to pass up on an otherwise good deal on a boat I wanted.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

My 2017 350 has been great. Many videos on the build process of the verado. As far as performance it is strong and always puts a smile on my face. The power steering is nice and the engine has a smooth power band. Go water test it you will like it.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    One of the best-built engines in the history of Outboards (JMHO). I had one of the very first production 250's and loved it. I'm told it's still on the water today.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Last edited by fishinarc; 11-03-2022 at 04:12 AM.