Seized Lower Unit, looking for advice

My lower unit recently seized up on my 2006 225 Mercury Pro XS (Serial Number 1B277373). Boat is a 2006 Triton TR21X HP.

Heres how I’ve come to that conclusion:
    1. Launched the boat and seemingly idled well for 15min, went to plane and motor shut off. Tried to crank and nothing.
    2. Took the boat out of the water and removed the engine cowling. I removed the accessory belt to eliminate the alternator and compressor as culprits. Motor did not turn. Removed the spark plugs and they all looked new. I tried turning the motor with the motor in reverse, neutral, and forward, still nothing. Spun the prop in neutral and it did spin, however there was definitely some resistance and noise that did not sound normal.
    3. Got home and went to drain the lower unit oil, I noticed the seal on the prop shaft was turned inside out. I was not surprised when no oil came out, just water after seeing the condition of the failed seal :(
    4. Removed the lower unit and the motor now turns over. Not sure how long the seal has been bad. Could have been as recent as this last trip or 10 trips ago.

My question, is the lower unit worth taking in to get looked at? Is it rebuildable or should I save the few hundred bucks I’d likely get charged for tear down/inspection only to have to source a replacement anyways? I know there are many factors that will determine if it’s ultimately rebuildable. I’m looking for anyone who has been in a similar situation and what the outcome was.

Thanks in advance BBC.
    Last edited by slikvik; 07-13-2019 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Added Engine Size

2. Member
    save yo $ get a VERADO style gearcase on it , much better gearing , uses plastic hub kit, p/n 880686A43
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    save yo $ get a VERADO style gearcase on it , much better gearing , uses plastic hub kit, p/n 880686A43
    From what I’ve researched I need a Gen 1 Torquemaster, would the Verado bolt on? Going along with that question would a Gen 2 TM or even a Sportmaster work?

4. Member
    you got light hull BULLET / ALISON/STROKER might need sporty /is not VERADO it has verado style gears in it,no on GEN 2
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Agree with Joe.....NO Gen2, or Sportmaster for you.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Rebuild the current Gen-1 TM if possible (a well-versed tech can often build a complete gearcase for a price comparable to a Verado-Style, new).

IF changing to the Verado-Style gearcase, keep in mind that there is a 4 degree OFF-SET in the shift linkage. Engines that used the Verado-Style gearcase have a different shift slide mechanism.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor