2006 Optimax 250xs

I just purchased a new to me 2006 Optimax 250xs. Serial number 1E001830. Mechanic told me to run only premium but I thought the 06 could run on 87. Is there a big loss on power if I run 87 or do I risk damaging the motor running 87. Motor has 360 hrs and air pump was replaced with newer style last year. Anything I should look at for with this motor? Is best rpm to prop around 5900 rpms?
    Thanks in advance
    Tom

2. Member
    does need 91/ 5900 ,mis read for pxs which uses lower grade fuels
    Last edited by JOE54; 07-17-2019 at 07:06 AM.
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Change your reed valves .I know by experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsman04 View Post
    Change your reed valves .I know by experience.
    Why change the reed valves?
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

5. Member
    Do they fail?

6. Member
    The XS, a Mercury Racing engine, didn't get carbon fiber reeds like the ProXS?
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Member
    Yes I believe this engine does have carbon fiber reed valves. With almost 400 hours hours on them I would thinh they are very close to failing. Mine failed at around 350 hours. Your supposedd to check them every 100 hours because of my ignorance cost me a powerhead.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsman04 View Post
    Yes I believe this engine does have carbon fiber reed valves. With almost 400 hours hours on them I would thinh they are very close to failing. Mine failed at around 350 hours. Your supposedd to check them every 100 hours because of my ignorance cost me a powerhead.
    Reeds should be inspected. It's very rare to see failures on the Factory CF Reeds, they were a VERY high-quality reed. Enough so that the TDR we helped design is essentally identical to the OEM (just less expensive).

By the serial number- this is an 91 octane engine (Mercury doesn't use years, but this one was in the 2005 Production RANGE).

I would, however, verify the block COLOR, and the PCM Sticker information, as something MAY have been changed after it left the factory.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    It has the 14 pin connector. I read somewhere that this was only in the 2006 motors. But not sure if that was true.
    Tom

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    With Racing... I would not necessarily rely on that.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor