Tell me about the 3.0 EFI’s with Downdraft intakes

Guess i will be an owner of a 3.0 ltr 250efi with the Down Draft intake and the Motorola single ECU.
    Serial# OT973608.

This is going to replace a older style 3.0ltr 225efi
    I know they sure sound different than mine.

Tell me about them, I heard some ran very strong.

I was going to rebuild a 250xb (and still may) but thought i would give a later style EFI as go. I believe they are based on the Opti block and cousins to the 300x.

Thanks!
    Bass Cat
    Eyra 300xs

2. Member
    I had an older 98 go bad last year and had chris Carson build me a downdraft with motorola computer. I’m very happy with it. I believe it is stronger than the 98. So far very reliable. Everything stock so far - no heads cut. I havent had a chance to check compression. The powerhead is a little taller than the 98 so the 98 cowl won’t quite fit. I have it sitting on and wide black tape holding it in place. Looking for the correct cowl. I think a 3l Opti cowl will work but others can chime in for sure.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Very good motors. There were a few of them (specifically in the 2003-2004 range) that for whatever reason were WAY strong on performance. As stated above, essentially the same block used for Optimax models, combined with the Smartcraft-style electronics and a simple downdraft intake.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Black Hills Energy Collin C.'s Avatar
    Thanks Don! I just never hear about the 250 ive always heard about the 225 being really strong. Ive read some old post stating that it can rival an XB in some instances.
    Bass Cat
    Eyra 300xs

5. Black Hills Energy Collin C.'s Avatar
    Do you think the 250 is underrated like the 225 or is it still a lot stronger than advertised?
    Bass Cat
    Eyra 300xs

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Still within the 10% tolerance.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

How could you tell if yours is one of the way stronger motors? Just the A$$ in Seat method?
    serial# 0T702925

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaBlazer202 View Post
    How could you tell if yours is one of the way stronger motors? Just the A$$ in Seat method?
    serial# 0T702925
    All your buddies will let you know.