Top Prize at ICAST - Force

My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

2. Member
    Anything else new from garmin?

3. Member
    Look at it this way. I don't think they are layong off any engineers.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

4. Member
    It amazes me every few months they come up with something else.

SE Kansas grass grower

ROCK CHALK

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ring fry View Post
    It amazes me every few months they come up with something else.

SE Kansas grass grower
    Yes they do
    Puts a lot of stress on the guys that just have to have the latest and greatest

6. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    It does stress me out....maybe the wife more than me or should I say mad....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

7. Member
    I am getting me a Garmin Livescope on my new boat, sure cannot figure out how they got best of show with the trolling motors, they would have been third at best if I were judging, but I am not judging.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by happykamper View Post
    I am getting me a Garmin Livescope on my new boat, sure cannot figure out how they got best of show with the trolling motors, they would have been third at best if I were judging, but I am not judging.
    I agree but I'm sure it's a "who you know" situation. After watching all the videos I would choose Lowrance over Garmin for trolling motor based on the videos. A lot more features and connectability out of the box it seems. But hey my Ultrex is going nowhere so I guess I have no vote....lol

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pfisher View Post
    I agree but I'm sure it's a "who you know" situation. After watching all the videos I would choose Lowrance over Garmin for trolling motor based on the videos. A lot more features and connectability out of the box it seems. But hey my Ultrex is going nowhere so I guess I have no vote....lol
    I agree, I reserve the right to change my mind when they actually hit the water for a few months.

10. Member
    Havent read up fully on these two motors but I dont see anything ground breaking with either of them. They copied an ultrex and tweaked a few things to make it better and added ~$700 to the cost. Are real trick would be to add these new features and undercut the ultrex price.

with that said its a trolling motor I cant even think of what else you could add to one these days that would really WOW me they can do so much already. (maybe a front and rear motor that work together to hold the boat completely stationary). Sounds expensive but that would really be something.

11. Member
    I don't know the criteria they used for judging. Looks like new features played a role, like the gesture control on the handheld remote. I'd be interested in what performance aspects or features you conisder make it third. Or taken the other way place others 1st and 2nd.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by puhlw View Post
    Havent read up fully on these two motors but I dont see anything ground breaking with either of them. They copied an ultrex and tweaked a few things to make it better and added ~$700 to the cost. Are real trick would be to add these new features and undercut the ultrex price.

with that said its a trolling motor I cant even think of what else you could add to one these days that would really WOW me they can do so much already. (maybe a front and rear motor that work together to hold the boat completely stationary). Sounds expensive but that would really be something.
    A couple of my installers customers use two Ulterras to hold themselves while crappie fishing. I haven't seen them personally but the second guy installed his after fishing with the first.

The crappie and catfish guys are worlds ahead in use and innovation of the new tech. After hanging around his place I now realize that bass fisherman are boring........ :-)

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    I don't know the criteria they used for judging. Looks like new features played a role, like the gesture control on the handheld remote. I'd be interested in what performance aspects or features you conisder make it third. Or taken the other way place others 1st and 2nd.
    The MK is the top dog until proven otherwise, the Lowrance has several things about it I like, brushless, head does not turn, 360 break away, power pole and way point buttons, the mount, the thrust, the unlock mechanism, also quieter, that about covers it. And I reserve the right to change my mind, the only one I have experience with is the Ultrex.

14. Member
    I need to see this! Sounds impressive

Quote Originally Posted by pfisher View Post
    A couple of my installers customers use two Ulterras to hold themselves while crappie fishing. I haven't seen them personally but the second guy installed his after fishing with the first.

The crappie and catfish guys are worlds ahead in use and innovation of the new tech. After hanging around his place I now realize that bass fisherman are boring........ :-)

15. Member
    The MK is the top dog until proven otherwise, the Lowrance has several things about it I like, brushless, head does not turn, 360 break away, power pole and way point buttons, the mount, the thrust, the unlock mechanism, also quieter, that about covers it. And I reserve the right to change my mind, the only one I have experience with is the Ultrex.
    Okay. I see your logic and you've made some good points. A new entrant against a proven product has their work cut out for them. And I've not used all these either, so we may have to depend on folks like Justin Russell to do comparisons. I think the quietness between Lowrance and Garmin will be a wash. Both are brushless. They measure thrust differently. I think the Garmin will win that one. On something like follow the contour, both will come out behind MK-Hbird as these new ones require an extra step. The remote may be a user preference thing like whether to put LVS on a stick or on the TM. I really like the convenience of the remote and gesture functions. Some won't care about that.

I think the big thing that has not been evaluated is how the they compare with Spot Lock and that will be uphill. Minn Kota has spent a lot of time fine tuning those algorithms and it's a performance feature that is very important to a lot of fishermen.

16. Member
    Yep, if it wasnt for spotlock id still have a cable steer.

Okay. I see your logic and you've made some good points. A new entrant against a proven product has their work cut out for them. And I've not used all these either, so we may have to depend on folks like Justin Russell to do comparisons. I think the quietness between Lowrance and Garmin will be a wash. Both are brushless. They measure thrust differently. I think the Garmin will win that one. On something like follow the contour, both will come out behind MK-Hbird as these new ones require an extra step. The remote may be a user preference thing like whether to put LVS on a stick or on the TM. I really like the convenience of the remote and gesture functions. Some won't care about that.

I think the big thing that has not been evaluated is how the they compare with Spot Lock and that will be uphill. Minn Kota has spent a lot of time fine tuning those algorithms and it's a performance feature that is very important to a lot of fishermen.

17. Member

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by puhlw View Post
    I need to see this! Sounds impressive
    Two of the guys are big time crappie fisherman. Might give google a try.