Thread: Lake Erie ???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lake Erie ???

Last minute trip in the morning, besides normal C.G. inland equipment what else do we need for Lake Erie? It's been several years since I have been there.
    Thank's ahead of time for any help.

2. Member
    Flares

3. Member
    Good weather reports, wind forecast and common sense. Be careful I fish it all the time. She will bite ya !

4. Member
    I leave out tomorrow also!!

5. Member
    Marine radio, don't count on your cell phone working off shore in an emergency.
    Brandon
    1996 Ranger 362XT
    Johnson Faststrike 150

6. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    You’ll also need hip boots to launch your boat, or just shuck your shoes until you get in the boat. Most of the launches are under water. Looks like a nice sunny day, so inshore traffic will be brutal. Offshore looks like 12-15 WSW, which translates to 3 footers or so. Just a good walleye chop.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    You’ll also need hip boots to launch your boat, or just shuck your shoes until you get in the boat. Most of the launches are under water. Looks like a nice sunny day, so inshore traffic will be brutal. Offshore looks like 12-15 WSW, which translates to 3 footers or so. Just a good walleye chop.
    Thank's for the reply, will be going out of Huron with a 621FS Ranger.

8. Member
    It was mentioned. But remember flares. They are a requirement! Not a recommendation.

9. Member
    Make sure your battery connections are covered.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunkerhunter3 View Post
    Make sure your battery connections are covered.
    Huh?

11. Member
    I've been stopped by the coast guard before on lake michigan and they checked the normal safety equipment along with flares. They also wanted to make sure that the battery terminals had either rubber or plastic covers over them. They want to make sure that nothing can touch the terminals and arch, and start a fire.

12. Member
    You also need a distress flag. Required.

13. Member
    Also if you have never been on Lake Erie you better take something for motion sickness. Not required but recommended, if you get seasick you will wish you did and once you get seasick it is too late to take anything and the last thing on your mind will be fishing.

14. Member
    100 foot anchor rope I think.

15. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ProVle View Post
    Thank's for the reply, will be going out of Huron with a 621FS Ranger.
    Don’t know about this time of year, but spring/fall there are big walleye and perch hanging around Huron. Bass not so much, although sheepshead are plentiful! A 621 Ranger is about right, and that far to the east [unless you head toward Cleveland], the boat traffic is nothing like it is around Kelley’s and the bass islands. Have a good one.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

Vessels 16' to 26' (Less Than 8m)

• Personal Flotation Devices: One Type I, II, III or V per person plus one Type IV throwable. PFDs must be Coast Guard approved, wearable by the intended user and readily accessible. (See "The Newtons are coming" below.)
    • Fire Extinguishers: One B-I, any type. Fire extinguishers required on boats with enclosed engine compartments (not outboards), enclosed living spaces or permanent fuel tanks.
    • Visual Distress Signals: Minimum of three-day use and three-night use or three day/night combination pyrotechnic devices. Non-pyrotechnic substitutes: one orange distress flag (day-use) and one electric SOS signal light (night-use). Pyrotechnic signals must be have a manufacture date within 42 months of the current date.
    • Sound Producing Devices: Horn or whistle recommended to signal intentions or signal position.
    • Marine Sanitation Devices: Vessels with installed toilet facilities must have an operable, Coast Guard-certified Type I, II or III Marine Sanitation Device (MSD). Subject to local laws.
    • Pollution Regulation Placards: No placards required.
    • Backfire Flame Arrestor: One Coast Guard-approved device on each carburetor of all gasoline-powered engines built after August 1980, except outboard motors.
    • Ventilation: Coast Guard-standard system required on gasoline-powered vessels with enclosed engine compartments built after August 1980.

Vessels 26' to 40' (Less Than 12m)

• Personal Flotation Devices:One Type I, II, III or V per person plus one Type IV throwable. PFDs must be Coast Guard approved, wearable by the intended user and readily accessible. (See "The Newtons are coming" below.)
    • Fire Extinguishers: One B-II or two B-I
    • Visual Distress Signals: Minimum of three-day use and three-night use or three day/night combination pyrotechnic devices. Non-pyrotechnic substitutes: one orange distress flag (day-use) and one electric SOS signal light (night-use). Pyrotechnic signals must be have a manufacture date within 42 months of the current date.
    • Sound Producing Devices: Horn or whistle recommended to signal intentions or signal position.
    • Marine Sanitation Devices: Vessels with installed toilet facilities must have an operable, Coast Guard-certified Type I, II or III Marine Sanitation Device (MSD). Subject to local laws.
    • Pollution Regulation Placards: 5" x 8" Oil Discharge placard and 4" x 9" Waste Discharge placard.
    • Backfire Flame Arrestor: One Coast Guard-approved device on each carburetor of all gasoline-powered engines built after August 1980, except outboard motors.
    • Ventilation: Coast Guard-standard system required on gasoline-powered vessels with enclosed engine compartments built after August 1980.

17. Member
    I was going to say watch out for large wakes but I think you’ll be fine in the 621. I speared a wake the last weekend of June and was soaked from head to toe. Plunged over the front wave right into the lake. On the bright side it cleaned gobs of mayfly husks off the deck and made for a good story. Nice to know I can momentarily become a submarine and keep on going.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishing Flyer View Post
    I was going to say watch out for large wakes but I think you’ll be fine in the 621. I speared a wake the last weekend of June and was soaked from head to toe. Plunged over the front wave right into the lake. On the bright side it cleaned gobs of mayfly husks off the deck and made for a good story. Nice to know I can momentarily become a submarine and keep on going.
    Love it

19. Member
    A extra bilge pump with alligator clips and hose just in case.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

Joe Balog Has a great video on YouTube about all the safety equipment you should have to go to the Great Lakes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast