Mermonitor 14 pin extension cable available?

My local dealer tells me there isn't an extension cable that will plug in the back of the mercmonitor gauge (14pin) and then plug into the 14pin connector on the harness that comes with the mercmonitor gauge. My helm setup is odd and I would like to mount the gauge away from everything else (about 5 ft). The extension cable he found was a 6ft 10 pin connector that extends the whole mercmonitor harness from the engine harness. I can't use that. I am tempted to splice the wires to get the length I need. By the way this is the latest version lvl 1 mercmonitor.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No, and I would not recommend cutting or splicing these wires, either.

How far are you mounting the instrument from the Junction Adapter (or Junction Box)? Pretty unusual to not be able to plug the instrument into it's own harness (in approximately 20 years of Smartcraft Installs, I don't recall an instance where I ran into this particular scenario).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks for confirming what my local dealer discovered!

I am looking into moving the mercmonitor gauge close to where the mercmonitor harness can be. It is indeed an odd setup, I realize that, and while it worked with my Yamaha all in one gauge, I realize the Yamaha gauge was not as complex, and I probably just got lucky that Yamaha happened to design there harness to work with my weird set up. Basically the gauge is in a very type space, with a tight access, and the mercmonitor harness has too much going on to fit.

On a side note, will the outboard run without the gauge hooked up? And will alarms still siren without the gauge hooked up? I noticed there looks to be a buzzer built into the long engine harness.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes, engine will run regardless of whether the MercMonitor is plugged in. And warning horn should function as long as you did not move it from it's intended (KEYSWITCH HARNESS) location.

BTW... the MercMonitor's 10 pin or 14 pin plugs "could" be depinned, if necessary, to ease installation. Same methods as those described in the FAQ Section.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor