518vx owners chime in

Im looking at purchasing a 2000 518dvx with a 2002 Optimax 200.

Any pros/cons to this boat?

Also this particular boat has some old screw holes (sealant and screws put back in) in the transom. Should this be a major concern? Any 518 with bad transoms?

What kind of performance should i expect to see ? No jackplate

Overall boat is in good shape with minimal items needing repiar. Newer trolling motor and graph.

What price range should this boat be in? Ive seen nadaguides price.

2. Member
    I bought a 1999 518VS with a 1999 200 Opti about a year ago, and have been very happy with it. No major issues so far. I bought mine from a friend as a "fixer upper". He had let it sit out in the weather, and never used it so I wet sanded, and had to get the motor back to running. I paid 4K for it, and have about another 4 in it, but it looks new again (and runs well) so I think I got a pretty fair deal??? I've seen some in the 2000 year range in really good shape for 11 - 13K though. However, I've also seen them as high as 17K. What I like about the boat is that it has a wide platform, plenty of storage, and is very stable (great to fish from). If there were anything I'd say it lacks, is rough water ride. It is not the best rough water riding boat (not horrible, but I've been in better) which surprised me with it being my first Ranger, and I'd always heard they were known for their rough water ride. My Skeeter handled rough water better, but definitely didn't fish as well. As far as performance, mine will run 67 - 69 mph (gps) with two people, 36V trolling motor (so 4 batteries), and one Minnkota Talon. Hope this helps.

3. Member
    I have one of them,same year model. There’s no wood in the transom so if the holes are sealed,it’s not an issue. Those transoms are damn near indestructible. I hit a log on mine and tore the engine off( it’s still in Kerr Lake),the only damage is two small stress cracks on top where the hydro steering hit. Without a plate,it should do mid sixties but it really likes a 6” plate and a Tempest + 25. It’s a great fishing boat and is worth $10-13K down here.

4. Member
    I also have a 2000 Ranger brochure with all the info on that boat. If you have any questions,contact me.

5. Member
    I have a 1999 518VX that I've owned for 20 plus years. Needless to say it has become my forever boat and I enjoy it greatly. Engine is a 1999 Optimax with 453 hours, a Bob's 6" hydraulic jack plate and run a Tempest Plus 3 bladed prop. So far nothing but regular maintenance and service required I have all maintenance records. Mine will run 70 GPS all day long and up to 72 in certain situations. Normally run 60-65. It has a motorguide 36 volt trolling motor that is original. Had it upgraded to digital controls several years ago. It is riding on a tandem trailer and pulls great with the new Goodyear Endurance tires. The boat fishes great, more than enough room for two anglers on the front deck to fish (it has the factory front deck extension that covers the cooler and adds to overall to deck space).

Boat rides excellent in normal to mildly choppy water. When the water gets ruff, rainy and windy you will need to slow down and hang on. On board compartments and rod lockers are more that adequate for me. My longest rods are 61/2 feet. If you have much longer rods than that it might present a problem for you. I have one small stress crack that is not all that visible. Mine has been garaged kept it's whole life and I will cover it when on a long trip with the factory Ranger deluxe cover. If (will not occur) I was to sell my Ranger 518VX I would ask for a price "north of reason" so I would expect only a serious offer. The cost of a new Ranger boat is up there now.

Conduct your due diligence before purchase and hopefully the current owner can provide you with all previous maintenance and service records. Nothing is perfect, but Ranger made the 518VX a great fishing platform in my opinion. I wish you well in making your purchase decision.

6. Member
    Just sold my 2003 185VS over the winter with 150 VMAX. I know it’s the lower trim and a couple years newer but I believe very similar boat. Great hull, loved the layout, perfect for the weekend warrior. All in all, very nice boats if cared for. I got $14k for mine with Fortrex and no graphs. FYI, Ranger still supplies most everything. I added a factory deck extension and replaced a couple lids that were getting spongy. Good luck, look it over good

7. Member
    I use to have a 185vs

8. Member
    I have a 2002 518dvx with a 2002 200 Optimax. I love the boat and motor combo. Will run 70 with just me 67-68 with tourney partner. Very stable to fish from, plenty of storage, a great boat!
    2002 518 DVX

I have a 2001... Has been a great boat and motor. The only issues I’ve had, in the last five years +, has been a few of the lids went soft.. I was able to work out arrangements with Ranger and put on new ones. Outside of this it’s just been little stuff from age, wear, and tear. Mine is setup with an 8” manual jack plate set to 3.25 below pad with a tempest plus.. It will do 68-72 depending on conditions and weight. The ride is great IMO but I cannot ride in rough weather due to the back.. So all I have been in is a med chop.. If I get stuck in anything to heavy I just put home.. I got a set of Rangers SRS seats and hope to install one day.. Hopefully they will allow me to push it at times.. Hope this helps.. I payed 15K for it over 5 years ago..
    Dave
    2001 Ranger 518DVX Comanche / Mercury 200 Opti (OT306368)

10. Member
    That is a great boat except for rough water. I have a 185 vs with a 175 HPDI and my buddy has a 518 with a 200 HPDI he is about 10 MPH faster but he also has a 6 "jack plate . He runs 70 MPH with light load. Th fishability is great !! Storage is smart unlike the 185 vs. As far as price if you were to say that you had a low hour great condition boat I would pay mid teens. You would be getting a great deal in the low teens depending on Electronics and TM . Oh My buddy has an 80 # Ultrex on his and it doesn't pull that boat that well. You are going to need a 36v TM for sure.