Primer bulb running out of gas

I have a 2012 Ranger 521 with a 2018 Mercury 250proxs 2 stroke. When I idle for long periods of time the motor goes dead and the primer bulb will be empty. It isn’t sucked flat just full of air. It was doing it after about 5 minutes of idling and I replaced the primer and now it will idle for about 15 min but still runs out of gas. I have replaced the fuel lines from the tanks all the way to the motor. I checked the fittings coming out of the tank and there aren’t any antisyphon valves. Does anyone know what I need to check next?

2. Member
    Does your boat have dual tanks? Doing it on both tanks?

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I’m no expert on Mercury engines; you might try over there on that forum. I’m thinking one possibility might be fuel pickup in the tank or fuel pump on the engine. A weak fuel pump might not have enough pull at idle speeds to move the fuel through the lines.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

My Johnson Fast Strike did this several years ago and I tried replacing the bulb also. Turned out the fuel pump was bad. Luckily haven't had any issues since.

5. Member
    Had the same thing happen on my 2018 250 ProXS. There is a defective fuel diaphram that needs to be replaced. It should be under warranty.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboat View Post
    Had the same thing happen on my 2018 250 ProXS. There is a defective fuel diaphragm that needs to be replaced. It should be under warranty.
    Correct.
    I am not a Mercury expert but at $200 a pop, there are several fuel system diaphragms that can fail causing the rough idle or outboard to stall after a prolonged idle. Same symptom, bulb goes soft. You may also smell fuel being dumped out of the exhaust. (Fuel Pressure Diaphragm and Tracker diaphragm)
    http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=92936&dateline=150203  9213
    2013 Ranger Z519 / 225 Mercury Pro XS

7. Member
    Had the same issue on my Merc and it was a bad fuel pump.

8. Member
    Thanks for all the replies. I’ll schedule a visit to the Merc doctor.

9. mikesxpress
    Rebuilding of the low pressure fuel pump at the VST is pretty simple and the kit can be purchased at SIM Mercury on-line.
    https://www.simmercury.com